Fog Creek Software
g
Discussion Board

REBOL IOS?

Has anyone built over the web apps in REBOL IOS? I'm reading the (little) info they have on their site, and it looks interesting. Any real-world experience with this tool?

http://www.rebol.com/index-ios.html

Fred
Thursday, August 19, 2004

Had an interview with a guy who used it for a project. He said it was pretty good.

dot dot

I've used IOS for building collaborative-spaces. It's very lightweight and comes "out-of-the-box" with filesharing/synching & thin-client app functionality. It's pretty remarkable that you can build a simple distributed app in less code than this post.

In all I enjoyed the experience very much, but it can be a tough sell in a corporate environment. Apps/executables delivered through the platform can only be built in REBOL, and there aren't many applications or devs out there. REBOL competes against the web/browser as an app platform. Maybe others have a different perspective.

Given the right niche, IOS can serve needs very well. It's certainly an excellent platform and language for quickly building capable, cross-platform applets.  I still use REBOL as a shell/scripting language nearly every day -- that's how good the language is.

Edoc

Thx for the comment. I'll see if I can get a trial version to check it out.

Fred

Its quite a cool little environment. Nice for file parsing. Very low memory / CPU overhead too.

Wouldn't want to build GUIs with it though...

Anon
Tuesday, August 24, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home