Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Word search special character for cells ?

I hope this is an acceptable topic (if not, just ignore it).

I want to search and replace in MS Word using their special characters to indicate the edge of a table cell. ^p stands for a paragraph, but that does not work (regardless of what RTF looks like).

Any ideas?


Richard C Haven
Thursday, June 10, 2004

I am not sure what you mean. Do you mean you want to replace the "tableness" itself? Select the table and do Table->Convert->Table to text. You can specify what character to replace the "edge of table" with.

Just me (Sir to you)
Friday, June 11, 2004

I use FindText:=" ^p",ReplaceText:="^p" to remove trailing spaces from paragraphs. I want to do the same to table cells.

Richard C Haven
Friday, June 11, 2004

I don't think you can search / replace on those codes because they are embedded in the table definition.

Instead, convert the table to text, run the replace and then convert it back to a table.

Friday, June 11, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home