Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do I become a contractor? (in the UK)


How do I become a contractor in the UK?

Is there a site with information I can look at?

What do I need to get in place e.g.

an accountant etc..

What's the best way to find work? Agency?

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

sign up with one of the many recruitment agencies out there.

etc etc etc

they all seem to post on Jobserve, so that is a good place to start.

You can either work directly (PAYE) or through your own limited company.

There are a number of companies that offer business services including shell companies and tax filings etc. With IR-35 your mileage might vary. Speak to an accountant about your options. Most recruiters will gladly recommend you to one of these agencies.

The number of agencies available to you will also depend on which part of the UK you are in, and what industry you want to work in.

Tuesday, May 25, 2004*&x=6&y=3

Tony Edgecombe
Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Thanks for the info. I'll check out the links.

Not sure about Reed though. They are useless. Never phone you back etc...

Mike Grace
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Why do you want to be a contractor?

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

He might want to make much more money.

Patrick FitzGerald
Wednesday, May 26, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home