Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Another Doman Name Question

Okay, so spurred on by the previous thread on domain name registration:

I checked out some domain names. One that I wanted was already registered, but the previous registration expired last month (according to a WHOIS service I found). Nevertheless, the registration services say that name is not available. What gives? How do I go about finding if this one truly is available, and if it is, how do I go about registering it in my name?

Monday, February 16, 2004

Dammit ... typos are bad enough in my posts ... but in the topic name? Sheesh!

Monday, February 16, 2004

Contact the customer service for the registrar in question... some hold onto the names a little longer than indicated as a service to their customers.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, February 16, 2004

oh yeah, what a 'service'. i have a friend who no longer uses a domain, wanted to his friend use it. but the registar has it in some sort of 'we're waiting to see if the guy wants to reregister it' mode. a month after the 30 day limit on doing that.
if you go to the registrar's web site, they'll let you buy the domain. but no other registrar will let you, since the first one says 'we're in the 30 day wait mode'.

Monday, February 16, 2004

Assuming that the domain is a .com or .net, the process is very standardized (as is the process for other tld's, just a different process) by ICANN:

The domain name (assuming it's a .com or .net) won't be available for registration for at least 75 days past its expiration date.

First, it goes into a simple 'expired' status for 45 days - the original registrant can renew it any time during this period.

Then it goes into a 'Redemption Period' for 30 days - during this time, the original owner can still renew it, but and addition step is needed (and a $150 fee!).

If, after that, the original registrant hasn't renewed it it will be opened up for anyone to register. At this point you'll be competing with the domain speculators to see who can register it faster...

Your best bet is to try to contact the original registrant and see if they'll renew the domain and then sell it to you.

Monday, February 16, 2004

It also seems that the "domain service" sometimes adopts a domain name if it seems likely to have a market.

Shouldn't be allowed in my opinion; a registrar should be a registrar and nought else--or at least should not be in competition with its customers.

Monday, February 16, 2004

Speaking of standardized, my &*@#@# registrar tells me my domain will expire. When I put in a transfer request with another registrar, approve it (as a contact), and ask my current registrar when they will approve the transfer they say that they don't expedite these things, it will take the standard 5-7 days.

Well, two weeks and several emails later nothing has changed. Grrrrrr. Time to escelate this.
Monday, February 16, 2004

Zahid, there're online services that would re-register domain for your immediately as it becomes available. I think is such a service.

Egor Shipovalov
Monday, February 16, 2004

>> Speaking of standardized, my &*@#@# registrar tells me my domain will expire. When I put in a transfer request with another registrar,

Actually, this is probably your problem. ICANN rules state that domains _can not_ be transfered between registrars when the domain is near expiration (they define the # of days/weeks, I just don't remember what it is).

You'll probably have to renew it with your existing registrar and then transfer it to your new one.

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home