Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Freelance in Aussie

Hello all! I am a IT developer from Australia. I just lost my job (of 2.8 years in business software development) and I will be moving from Perth to Melbourne for good in March. I was thinking maybe any Oz mates on this forum can guide me on what formalities (business/company registration, tax filing norms, bank work, other legal & general formalities etc) need to be completed in order to start a freelance consultancy shop (one man firm) out here. I am very serious about starting my own thing by doing onsite/offsite development work and maybe even developing some in-house software and web products.

Hope to hear some feedback. Chao!

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

It's not really that hard. Struggle with the ATO website for a while, get yourself an ABN and register for GST (GST number will be ABN number). I'm supposed to do my GST actually...

Sydney market is bigger (stronger?) than Melbourne BTW. Check and you can land contracts via agencies - also business can now advertise directly and I picked up a gig directly that way.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Oh might be a good place to loiter. They have a JobCube service - not quite sure what it does (I left Australia in August last year), but it may be useful.

Walter Rumsby
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

What exactly is an "IT developer?" You sound like an idiot. Stay away.

I like beaches
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

I suppose an IT 'Developer' is not an IT 'Business Analyst', or IT 'System Tester' or IT 'Project Manager' etc.

Geez, take some prozac.

Somebodies an idiot, rude too.

Ch 10
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

The term is software developer, Ch 10.

I like beaches
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

If you're going to be a contractor it's pretty much as said before, fill out forms & look for work.  If you're setting up as a stand-alone solution provider (whatever that may mean in your field), it's a little harder in that you're running a "real" business in the traditional sense (marketing etc)

Any decent accountant should help you with the government formalities in either case as will sites like - it's all just form filling, sign your life away stuff - nothing too complex.

Oh - insurance.  For God's sake don't forget insurance.  Some clients will require $5M liability just to set foot inside.

PS If you have a spouse/SO make sure they are COMPLETELY on board and understand the money & time rollercoaster you'll be on for at least the first 12 months.  It's a completely different world from that of being an employee and is not for everyone.

Motown (AU)
Wednesday, January 28, 2004

The other web site you need to be aware of is who look after company registrations. You can do all the company registration etc online, but check first with an accountant as to what the appropriate  structure is.

Be aware also that the ATO has cracked down hard on "income-splitting", so give up any ideas of "tax-efficient" arrangements such as splitting your income with your spouse.

Presumably you will be an employee of your own company, which means that you legally must take out workers compensation insurance, pay superannuation, etc. Don't forget also to register for GST.

It's not particularly complex, and you can do most of it online, but if you don't have a background in this, talk to someone and get a list of specifics that you need to do. It's important to keep on top of the paperwork, you will have for example an obligation to report your PAYE to the ATO every month (and GST probably every 3 months), and you cannot be lax about it without it coming back to haunt you. Make sure your run the business as a business, keep good records, don't mix up you personal and business funds (separate bank accounts).

Thursday, January 29, 2004

Thnx a lot u guys!

Friday, January 30, 2004


  A S/w Development group from India.Looking for freelance work.Expertise with C++,C#,VB.NET , VB and COBOL.

Would like to work with you .


Thursday, March 4, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home