Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

knowledge base software ???

I am looking for some software to run on my home computer to contain the various useful information i pick up along my way.

Examples of the sort of info i would want to put into my knoweldge base include

- short code snippets in various languages
- peoples phone numbers and addresses
- creative ideas, movie plots, software ideas etc
- appointments/deadlines/special dates

Its something i would want to use everyday, adding any useful info I have come across. 

I want to use it to become more organised, focus my efforts more (not to let half started ideas disipate away from my consciousness untill 8 months later i re-discover them and go "wow.. that was a cool idea, why didnt i finish that ?).

I am also sick of locating the same information on the web multiple times.  I should have my own little knowledge base.

I think the knowledge base will have to store the date an entry was made along with the date and have an easily searched hierachial structure.

I realise I could acheive all these goals with notepad and a directory structure (I am at this point only wanting text to go into my knowledge base) if i was more organised and disciplined. 

But as it is I have text files, emails, scraps of paper, all sorts of bits of info all over the place.  I think i need a definative Something to be my knowledge store.

I am more interested in software recomendations than life advice on how to become more organised but If anyone has any useful ideas please post em.

Sunday, September 21, 2003

Kwiki - the effort to add information is so low that you'll be using it all the time.

Matthew Lock

Discussed earlier this week

Mark T A W .com

Jive Knowledge Base is a customizable knowledge base application for managing knowledge documents such as FAQs and white papers.

Didn't try it, though

Evgeny Goldin

wiki lover

Sounds like a properly-categorized blog might even meet your needs.

Sam Livingston-Gray

This is exactly what I use my PDA for!

Joe Nieters
Monday, September 22, 2003

And it's exactly what I use my Wiki for.

Ged Byrne

Also take a look at WSS (Sharepoint Services) coming out on the 21st (earlier if you have a MSDN sub.) 

Might or might not meet your specs, but it's worth a look, especially if you've got a stable of .Net developers around.

Unfocused Focused

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home