Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How do "Diff" software work?

I am using a shareware for comparing differences in two files - Examdiff.

I was wondering what are the sorting algorithms behind this.

Lets say it is comparing two files T and T+1

Changes that are removed from T, will appear with a 'strike through' in T1. And new content will be highlighted.

Maybe this is asking too much - how about CityDesk having a version comparison mechanism built in.

Ram Dass
Monday, September 1, 2003

"optimal" diff is computed using a dynamic programming algorithm which you can find endless amount of material on by searching for "edit distance" or "levenstein distance" on Google. It's takes O(n*m) time.

Most diff programs don't compute the optimal set of differences, though - they use approximations of some sort.

[ ]

Ori Berger
Monday, September 1, 2003

On the contrary, if N is the sum of the lengths of the two inputs, and D is the length of the edit sequence, then the optimal diff can be computed in O(ND) time and O(D) space.  (An edit sequence is a sequence of delete-element and insert-element commands to transform the first input into the second input.)

You can find an explanation of the O(ND) algorithm in this paper:

The GNU diff program always starts by using the O(ND) algorithm.  If it discovers that D would be too big, it terminates the algorithm early and may report a suboptimal edit sequence.

rob mayoff
Tuesday, September 2, 2003

Was about to ask the same question - thanks for the links !

Evgeny Goldin

I stand corrected.

Ori Berger

You might also be interested in seeing an application -- the Algorithm::Diff module (Perl) may be useful for you:

Chris Winters

Anyone know if there are good general purpose algorithms for computing differences between tree structures like those implied by XML?

Wednesday, September 3, 2003

i just downloaded ms xmldiff today. it referenced some named algorithm, take a look and see what it is.

Wednesday, September 3, 2003

Thursday, September 4, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home