Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Drawing roadmap diagrams

I'm not much of a diagram tool nut, so when it comes to documenting the SCM strategy for a project, I end up using the same notation explained in this book:

Which is good enough, but leaves non-techies scratching their heads untill you explain.

However I like this other diagram better, I think it does convey more information in one simple and attractive view. And it will be more visually appealing to the Powerpoint-mongers in the company:

( from )

Does anybody here know how the mozilla roadmap diagrams are made? Or perhaps some Visio/Dia templates that can do a similar job?

I understand this could be easily made using a vector drawing program, but I really stink at drawing.

Any ideas?

Beka Pantone
Thursday, February 27, 2003

It doesn't look like it was made with Visio but you can use Visio to draw time-line diagrams. Haven't used Visio for that purpose yet so I can't tell you how good it is. Quickly looking at it, it does look to have all the right stuff (except maybe how the Mozilla diagram showed the branches)

I don't know, but it looks to me as if the Mozilla diagram was put together manually by drawing tools rather than automatically using a project management or other drawing program. I've many many custom diagrams like this over the years to impress executives and this smells like something that a creative type made rather than a Project or casual PowerPoint user.

Tom Fairlie

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home