Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Professional Associations

Is anyone a member of a professional association -- IEEE, ACM, etc?  Is there much benefit to joining one?  Just curious.

Thursday, February 20, 2003

I recently gave up my membership in the ACM. I just wasn't getting much out of it. Mind you, I only subscribed to CACM, not any of the more interesting SIG journals, nor did I attend any ACM conferences.

In the end, my membership ended up being an overpriced subscription to a magazine that rarely contained anything I cared to read.

That's not to say the experience was totally negative. Occasionally CACM would have a few really interesting articles. Phillip Armour's articles on the 5 orders of ignorance, for example, were well worth the read. The rest felt like filler.

I've found that I can find more relevant content on the web.

Kent Pitman has written about his own experiences as an ACM member and columnist here

Your milage may vary.

Ken Dyck
Thursday, February 20, 2003

IEEE member for 3 years, gave it up 2 years back.

Prakash S
Friday, February 21, 2003

Perl Mongers

Matt H.

I was a member of the IEEE Computer Society for 5 or so years, but gave it up a few years back.

I mainly joined for the magazines, which were very good.

These days I keep up to date by reading Slashdot, JoS etc. and haven't missed dropping the IEEE subscription.

The money I used to spend on IEEE I now use to subscribe to O'Reilly's excellent Safari service.

ACM/IEEE and what have you is more useful and important for researchers than for grunts - it's so that you can meet other myopic researchers who do more math and writing than programming and increasingly study less and less... :)

Warren Henning
Saturday, February 22, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home