Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

This should be Easy ...

VC++ (really windows) question:

I've got some legacy code that saves a file and then launches notepad.  It's pretty simple:

char szCommand[_MAX_PATH];
lstrcpy(szCommand,"NOTEPAD.EXE ");
WinExec(szCommand, SW_SHOWNORMAL);

Because NotePad is always in the path.

Now, I've changed the file to CSV.  Excel is no longer in the path, but in Windows, if I double-click on the .CSV, it'll launch Excel.  However, if I just send the string "C:\filename.csv" to winExec, it doesn't launch excel.

Worse, excel isn't in the path.  And if I hard-code:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Excel.exe - even IF it works on all modern versions of office, it won't work on machine where the user customized the install.

I've look at office automation on CodeGuru/Project, but the article were poorly written.  This should be trivial, what am I missing?

Any advice?  Ideas?  Links to articles?  I -know- this should be easy ...

Matt H.
Thursday, January 9, 2003

I forgot exactly where I did this, but I believe that ShellExec (or ShellExecute?) would do it.  If the file type is registered, it will work.

Yes, I concur ShellExecute. It does exactly what you want.

On a related note, when I type "Excel" into the Run box, it runs Excel even though I can't find Excel anywhere in my Path.

Anyone know how they pulled off that trick?

I believe they use a registry entry for both the Run from command line and for the binding.  Run regedit and you will see an entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE for the .xls that specifies to use excel

Adam Young

actually it's from the "App Paths" section of the registry where you can specify a path for each application.

Joel Spolsky

Try CreateDispatch function to open EXCEL.

You guys Rock!

Matt H.

Try to use ShellExecute instead.

Friday, January 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home