Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Welcome! and rules

Joel on Software

A new .NET Language

I would like to design and implement a 'language' that will operate in the .NET world.

I noticed a new book by Apress [1] that will be released on May17, but I can't wait.

What are some keywords I can search MSDN and/or with that will point me to articles that talk about building a compilier that targets the CLR.

I don't need the parser/lexer type of information (I have the dragon book), but the stuff specific to the CLR...

Thanks, I have been looking for almost an hour, and it is nearly impossible because CLR / compilier / build etc all point to other more mainstream topics.

What IS the magic word?!

[1] Build Your Own .NET Language and Compiler , ISBN 1-59059-134-8

Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Check out "codedom"

Thursday, April 22, 2004

According to Amazon, that book was published in February. It looks like it's out of print though, as there's a 4-6 week delay on delivery.

Steve Jones (UK)
Thursday, April 22, 2004

On the site, it says Feb.1.  However, on and, it says May 17th.

Hmm. Looks like a bug somewhere.

Not that that happens in software...

Thursday, April 22, 2004

For your output, the name you probably need to be looking for is the .NET namespace "System.Reflection.Emit" - if I'm not mistaken, both the MS.NET and Mono C# compilers use this namespace to output their IL. I've used it myself to code what amounts to an IL enhancer project, but it's extremely full-featured and not really that bad to learn. Also, it's most certainly superior to the direct-to-post-parsed style created by the CodeDom, not the least since it gives you access to every feature of the .NET Framework.

Eric Astor
Saturday, May 15, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home