About Reporting Services
I've installed MSSQL Reporting Services. It's quite a nice tool, but I have some questions. Does someone use them now?
Here are my questions:
1. What is the architecture of Report server? BOL says that it is a web service, but I've found a Windows service named ReportServer (ReportingServicesService.exe). Can I use this service without IIS?
2. I've encountered some problems with RS on server reboot. After reboot the service named above could not start automatically and I had to start it manually first and then restart IIS to get Report Manager and Report Server working properly. Does someone have such problems?
3. Is there some comparing of Reporting Services and Crystal reports? Are there some recomendations when should I use one of them and when another?
Monday, February 16, 2004
Don't have anything to add, just wanted to second #3. Can anybody tell me anything about how Reporting Services and Crystal Reports compare?
Friday, March 5, 2004
1. From my limited playing, the only way to communicate with RS is through the Web Services. Even their built in "Report Manager" uses the Web Services. So AFAIK this is the only way.
2. Haven't seen this, have rebooted many times on my development machine.
3. Here are some good links
Friday, March 12, 2004
Fog Creek Home