Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

scoutSubmit.asp causes lockup for user

We just installed FB3 after using the trial version for a while. There are definitely some issues with being too slow, but they are very erratic. To list bugs in grid view sometimes takes 2 seconds, sometimes 6 seconds, sometimes 30 seconds. However, one thing that happens consistently is that when I try to use scoutSubmit.asp by going to http://OURSERVER/fogbugz/scoutSubmit.asp?ScoutUserName=Geoff+Fortytwo&ScoutProject=Misc+%2F+Other&ScoutArea=Miscellaneous&Description=Description&Extra=extra+info&

it takes 80 seconds to finish. And, during those 80 seconds, it is impossible for me to do anything else with fogbugz. During that time all other requests from my system to fogbugz just sit and spin. The shortly after the scoutSubmit.asp call finishes, the other spinning tasks will finish.

I don't see anything in the iis log or the application event logs that indicates what's going on. The CPU on that machine is not pegged during that time. I can't find any actual log files that fogbugz outputs, so I'm not sure how to figure out what's going on.

It doesn't lock everyone else from listing bugs. Only my account cannot list bugs during that time. However, creating a bug is right now taking a really long time (like a minute or more), so maybe that's really the issue. Maybe all ways of creating a bug are just really slow. And, while creating a bug it locks me out so I can't do anything else during that time.

This is confusing because yesterday scoutSubmit.asp was slow, but I could create bugs quickly.

Obviously, there's something wrong with our install, because the trial version was working great. But, I don't know where any relevant log files are, so I don't know how to debug this.

Geoff Fortytwo
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I figured out how to turn on log files (see

In the FogUtil.txt file, the following is some of the stuff that's output when a new bug is added:
  Adding new bug
  New Bug Added
  Setting date
  Updating recordset
  Closing recordset
  Recordset Closed
  Selecting identity
  DATABASE Name: 'Microsoft SQL Server'
  ixbug selected: 773
  CheckLicenses Called
  UserName: services
  sub auth. count: 5
  license length: 97

The pause occurs right after the "ixbug selected: 773" line. It outputs the stuff up to the line and then pauses for a minute and then suddenly prints out "CheckLicenses Called" and all the lines after that. The browser immediately responds after that. So, whatever is causing this slowdown, it is occurring in between those two lines of logging output.

Geoff Fortytwo
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

All the other ASP stuff associated with creating a bug happens in between those lines, so it doesn't really pinpoint anything.

What I'd like you to do is to copy EmptyBugz.mdb in the Accessories folder to FogBugz.mdb.  Then in your site settings set it to use that database.  Run through your tests and see how it operates.

Are you using integrated authentication?  If your active directory server is slow and the account you installed fogbugz as is a domain account, there could be a slowdown continually authenticating the user.

Go to and build a connection string to log into the SQL server using SQL Server authentication.  Switch to that connection string in the Site Admin page in fogbugz and see if that helps.

Michael Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

I tried turning email sending completely off (setting the mail host to "NONE") and it's working fine now. So, apparently there's something wrong with the email sending.

Geoff Fortytwo
Wednesday, February 25, 2004


This will cause a delay every time you try to send mail with FogBUGZ. If you are experiencing 30 second - 1 minute delays every time you assign a bug in FogBUGZ, this is probably the cause.v

Michael H. Pryor
Fog Creek Software
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Yep.  I switched it to a different email server and it works again now. Thanks!

Geoff Fortytwo
Wednesday, February 25, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home