Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

UTF-8 problem with CityDesk 2.0.19

I've scoured the discussion group and tried everything mentioned.  I can see my page correctly in CityDesk's browser, but when I publish it, I get weird characters instead of normal punctuation.  I've inserted the meta charset=UTF-8 tag after the head tag in my template.  I've made sure my browser is set to auto-select encoding.

I've tried copy/pasting data a number of ways, and nothing works.  I can't always do plain text, since that would look awful. 

We are running an apache server that's charset default config is iso-8859-1, but I thought the meta tag would take care of that problem!

I've created the site with CityDesk 2.01p Build Date 20030825A.  The URL to see my damaged page is

Maybe someone out there can give me a simple solution, because I'm losing my mind... :-)

Thanks.  Bonnie

Bonnie Littleton
Thursday, October 9, 2003

Bonnie :re weird characters instead of normal punctuation.

On my browser IE6 your site Looks very *nice* to me ... I do not see any weird characters. IMO you've done a great job with the design.

Now this following link does not look anywhere as nice as :-)

David Mozer

I don't know if this makes the difference or not but I noticed a "/" missing from the end of the UTF-8 statement.

The copyright symbol is awry at the bottom of the page for me, using ie6.

Ron Lane

We had a similiar issue with an Apache-based server of a client and the fault lay with the Apache configuration. Talk to your provider to resolve the issue.

PS: You can try and publish to another server (you know works with UTF-8) for testing before contacting your provider, just to be sure.

Patrick Thomas
Friday, October 10, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home