Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

[feature request] Store site in filesystem instead

Okay, I'm pretty sure the feature I want is not in the "flavour" of CityDesk; so I won't be too upset if this post is treated more like a rant. But I'd be interested in the thoughts of others.

Firstly, CityDesk is all good. It's a great GUI (wysiwyg-ish), its got scripting, its got a big Publish button. These are the reasons I want to use CityDesk.

But (for reasons explained below) I don't want to store the whole "source" to my site in a single .cty file. I want each "file" in the .cty to be actually be a file in the filesystem.

I know that the .cty file is some sort of JET/MSAccess SQL database file, and so getting rid of the .cty would mean losing a whole lot of SQL goodness. And for that reason this feature request is not in the "flavour" of CityDesk.

One possible idea is for a feature that lets you export/import a .cty into the filesystem in a reliable, isomorphic way.

Now... the reason I want to store my site in the filesystem is that I'm a software developer, and that's just the way I'm used to doing things ;-) I'd like to be able to check the whole thing into CVS (into a version control system), and be able to tell what files changed when, and what the differences were.

Matt Quail
Monday, October 6, 2003

It's not going to happen.

I like the convenience of the single file. I version control the .CTY file for my site and I don't care to recall how many times this has saved my skin.  I can tell what's changed between versions because I discipline myself to make detailed check in comments. Not quite the same as being able to do a diff, I know but it's good enough for my purposes.

John Topley (
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Forgot to say, there's nothing to stop you writing your own tool to print out the differences between two .CTY files in a meaningful way ;-)

John Topley (
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

I proposed something similar when they had issues with multi-user CityDesk. I said why not publish articles, templates, etc. as .xml files without any parsing, and then publishing a "citydesk.xml" style file that had the checksums of each.

A distant 3rd party could easily download any changes into their local copy of CityDesk the same way you publish today.

But, I don't think that's the way CityDesk is going to go.

Mark T A W .com
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

I would suggest setting up the print friendly feature. This way, each time you publish you get a text copy of your body text for each file in CD.

John Cesta
Tuesday, October 7, 2003

Like I have on my site?

.txt files don't wrap, so .html files with plain black on white formatting is really the best way, and you get this by publishing a template that has printer friendly templates.

Mark T A W .com
Thursday, October 9, 2003

CopyBoy 2.1 will include XML import and export capabilities for .cty files.

I do not yet have even a rough ETA for this version, though.

Mike Gunderloy
Thursday, October 9, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home