Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Knowledge Base
Terry's Tips
Darren's Tips

How to create 'printable page'

Has anyone figured out a way to create a link to 'print this page' in CD, one that uses a template that is stripped of the menu items, tables, etc.?

Gary Wilson
Tuesday, March 25, 2003
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Perfect. That's the solution I was looking for. Thanks

Gary Wilson
Tuesday, March 25, 2003

and additionally I use CSS media selector (works ok from IE6 on). I have a copy of the css style sheet, edited for printer (white background etc.) and mostly with some tags defined such as

#navbar {display:none;}
#menu {display:none;}

#sidebar {display:none};
#copyright {display:block}
#search {display:none}
#statistics {display:none;}

navigation bar has something like id="navbar" as style. This is visible in the normal style sheet, but not in the printer style sheet. Same for the menu, search bar etc.
The copyright line is not visible in normal view, but it is on the printer.

Advantage: page looks perfect in 30% of the browsers when they just hit the print button (without going to a printer friendly page) . In fact, it looks the same as the printer version... which I have for the other 70% of the users.

Adriaan van den Brand
Wednesday, March 26, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home