Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

smart cookie problem

the solution for the smart cookie problem doesn't answer the question. The questlion is how the hell do they get the pattern in the cookie? the solution just starts with a big cookie turning into a smaller, more detailed cookie, it still doesn't answer how the pattern got into the cookie to begin with. this is the question in question (har har):
http://www.techinterview.org/Puzzles/smartcookie.html

john doe
Monday, August 26, 2002

I remember seeing a piece on some tv show (an old episode of Ripley's Believe It or Not, maybe) about a Japanese candy with a face or character on it, and they did it like the solution says: putting rolls of differently colored material together to make a very large roll with the design, then extruding the roll to make the design "uniformly smaller."

They mentioned (with some amount of pride) that because of how it was made, the design on each cut candy was slightly different. I haven't used the actual Pillsbury product, but I would think they may have a higher precision version of the same process to get more uniformity, but the solution as given would at least work.

Mark Paschal
Thursday, September 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home