Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

More "knights" and "liars"

These problems are generally known as the "knights and knaves" problems, but the two words are similar enogh looking to confused, so I call the knaves liars :)

Sink your teeth into this one:

http://www.flooble.com/perplexus/show.php?pid=32

levik
Monday, April 29, 2002

Each liar said they were between a knight & a liar. This means that no liar was next to a knight and a liar, which implies that nowhere was a liar sitting next to another liar. (They could all have been liars, but we have at least two knights). Each liar was then surrounded by 2 knights (KLK). Each knight said to be between a liar and a knight, which would give us 15 sets of KLK. However, 2 of the knights got it wrong, meaning they were either sitting next to 2 liars, or 2 knights. Assume one was sitting next to 2 knights, giving a KLKKKLK combination. This extra knight means that we have to remove another person somewhere else, to leave use with 45 people. Removing a liar gives use 2 more knights who got it wrong. Removing a knight from the middle of a KLKKLK combination gives us a knight sitting next to 2 liars, who got it wrong. Similarly considering the situation when we remove a knight leaving a knight between two liars, we have to add a knight sitting next to two other knights.

To conclude, if you're still with me, we have 15 liars and 30 knights, seated almost in a KLK KLK KLK ... combination, but with one knight out of place.

Paul Viney

Paul Viney
Monday, April 29, 2002

Yep.  Almost exactly the same argument I came up with.

Paul Brinkley
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home