Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

A bookworm’s meal

Stumbled on this one when I was doing research for my new site, haven’t seen this around before, so I thought I’d throw it out here:

http://www.flooble.com/perplexus/show.php?pid=12

levik
Wednesday, April 17, 2002

An hour, I think?

Adrian

Adrian Gilby
Thursday, April 18, 2002

10mm + 10mm + 1mm + 1mm = 22mm
Pages + Pagse + BackCover + Frontcover

22 * .5 = 11 hours

Dave Schnizlein
Thursday, April 18, 2002

Adrian is right. Dave is wrong. Look *carefully* at the
illustration.

Gareth McCaughan
Thursday, April 18, 2002

I suppose it depends on your cultural perspective... If the books were in Chinese (for instance) then Dave's answer would be correct!

Adrian

Adrian Gilby
Friday, April 19, 2002

Oh, come on... Don't make me go and add to the problem that the books are in english, I think it's a pretty safe assumption to make they are your regular left to right variety... :)

levik
Friday, April 19, 2002

Well, okay... but I do wonder about the proportion of left-to-right vs right-to-left books in the world.

Adrian

Adrian Gilby
Friday, April 19, 2002

The aha factor on this one is pretty high ;-)

Michael H. Pryor
Friday, April 19, 2002

Yes, yes it is. Thankfully, I chose not to disclose the AHA factor up front on my site, only difficulty :)

levik
Friday, April 19, 2002

who says the books aren't upside down?

Dave Schnizlein
Saturday, April 20, 2002

The picture does :) the digits "1" and "2" are clearly right side up. Any more nitpicks?

levik
Saturday, April 20, 2002

>>>"Stumbled on this one when I was doing research for my new site, haven’t seen this around before,"<<<

The part of this statement that I find interesting is the "haven’t seen this around before" part.

The first time I saw this puzzle was about 40 years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if it was already 40 years old then.  It is quite a simple problem, but must have just the right aha factor to keep it popular all this time.

mackinac
Tuesday, April 30, 2002

Actually, what I meant to say was that I haven't seen this problem around *here* before.  :)

I readily believe this problem is very old, since all the good ones seem to be :)

levik
Wednesday, May 08, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home