Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Magazine piece on puzzles in job interviews

I am doing an article for The Economist (a British news magazine that, despite the title, is not strictly about economics) on the trend of using logic puzzles in job interviews. The piece will have a few anecdotes of people's interview experiences and a range of opinion quotes on whether or how well puzzles, riddles, and trick questions predict future job performance.

I am therefore trying to locate people who have interviewed at companies (such as Microsoft) using such puzzles. If you'd like to participate, please contact me for a short phone or e-mail interview.

I am the author of eight books, most recently a biography of American astronomer Carl Sagan (Carl Sagan: A Life in the Cosmos, Henry Holt 1999.) I have written for The Economist on science and technology issues for several years, as well as for Esquire, Harpers, the New York Times Book Review, and ABC television.

William Poundstone
OrGrove@aol.com

William Poundstone
Saturday, March 02, 2002

It can be either of them....one really cant say..The row of short people can be way tooo short than the shortest of the tallest people or else it can be comparitive.....

Depends......

wonder how the gentelman above reached the conclusion

Puzzle Solver
Saturday, March 16, 2002

I assume you've been to http://www.sellsbrothers.com/fun/msiview/ ?

Norman Spears
Tuesday, March 26, 2002

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home