Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Lets try explaining

How does one explain /define  the meaning of the word
"between"  to a person who has no clue whatsoever of this word. We can't, obviously, use the word "between" when we try explaining.

C Karthik
Friday, September 10, 2004

I'll give it a try.

"Between" expresses the relation of one thing to at least two others. We say that something (A) is "between" - say - B and C if B < A < C or C < A < B.  To make this meaningfull, we usually give a hint on what is compared. Sometimes, however, this knowledge is already assumed in daily communication.

So, 3 is "between" 1 and 30.

If I say that Main Street is "between" Park Avenue and Marple Road, you know where to look for Main Street, if you know the location of both the other streets. E.g. if Marple Road lies east of Park Avenue, Main Street will be east of Park Avenue, but west of Marple Road.

"Between" like most common words of course got vague over the ages and can be used methaporically, too. At least in Germany we say - for example - that someone is "between" the guests if we want to express that somebody is at a party but we don't know execatly where he is now.  In this case it means "surrounded by".

Dagobert

Between 1.0 and 2.0

becomes

All numbers greater than 1.0 and less than 2.0, inclusive.

Lou

Usually the meaning of a word depends on the context in which it is used.

If we want to define a word, the dictionary is useful.

Here are some definitions

"being neither at the beginning nor at the end in a series"
"in the interval"

JHY
Saturday, September 11, 2004

It's always bothered me that BETWEEN in SQL is inclusive of the start and finish - this doesn't coincide with the meaning of between.

Dennis Forbes
Saturday, September 11, 2004

The dictionaries always do that kins of explanation. What's wrong with that:

Main Entry: between
Function: preposition
1 a : by the common action of : jointly engaging <shared the work between the two of them> <talks between the three -- Time> b : in common to : shared by <divided between his four grandchildren>
2 a : in the time, space, or interval that separates b : in intermediate relation to
3 a : from one to another of <air service between Miami and Chicago> b : serving to connect or unite in a relationship (as difference, likeness, or proportion) <a one-to-one correspondence between sets> c : setting apart <the line between fact and fancy>
4 : in point of comparison of <not much to choose between the two coats>
5 : in confidence restricted to <a secret between you and me>

(www.m-w.com)

Dmitri Papichev
Tuesday, September 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home