Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Friendly Pirates

In the original pirates problem we assume that the pirates are relentlessly logical, and each pirate has (and knows that the others have) the following priorities in decreasing order:

1. Not be killed.
2. Get more money.
3. Kill other pirates.

What happens if we change the last rule to make the pirates a little friendlier?

3. Not kill other pirates.

Mind, they'll still kill if they can get a gold coin out of it

How does this affect the outcome of the problem? And since none of the pirates are killed in either case, why does changing the rule have such a strange effect?

Ham Fisted
Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Would there be any change to the pirates actions after the rules have been changed?

What you have done is effectivily cancled out the first and third rule, if pirates don't kill eachother then they have no need to worry or think about not being killed!

But then you have said that the pirates will still kill eachother for a gold coin (what a world eh?) which tips the scales back to there original position, as pirates will now kill for money instead of for fun!

I dunno i just thought i'd answer as it seems like fun hehe anyone else?

Daniel Mitchell
Monday, August 30, 2004

I agree~
Either they'll kill for money or they won't kill even for money. Then you'll give at least one coin to the guy who was supposed to die and two to the guy who would've gotten one coin. The rest remains the same, minus a coin or two (ie: they'll still try to scam each other)

What might be interesting is to ask, what if killing is illegal in the question's alternate universe, and they all have to "do unto others as you would have done to you." Meaning they they'll always have the other's best interest in mind instead of their own. Ha....

ChocoBean
Monday, August 30, 2004

The difference is that in the original problem, a pirate will vote "no" by default, unless he profits by voting "yes."

In the modified problem the pirate votes "yes" by default, unless he would profit by voting "no."

Try it, it works out to a different answer.

Ham Fisted
Monday, September 06, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home