Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Good Experiences with Recruiters?

Anyone have soem good experiences with technical recruiters in NYC? I have had mixed experiences in the past  but I did get placed at Microsoft through a recruiter and I cannot complain about that.

Paul Davies
Tuesday, May 13, 2003

My best experience was with the first recruiter I met in NYC, was so excited for me to be moving here that he serenaded me with "Autumn in New York" over the phone.  Then he gave me one of his old suits to wear to the interview, since I hadn't packed one.  Prozac was new then, maybe they didn't have the dosage figured out yet.

But the bad ones are my favorites.

When I was moving here, a recruiter tried to browbeat me into taking a full-time job in White Plains because "there aren't any jobs IN nyc..."

Lesson #1: They just want to CLOSE THE DEAL.  Whichever deal they happen to have in front of them.  As quickly as possible.

Which leads directly to Standard Post-Offer Reply #1, "That's a reasonable offer.  I'll get back to you after I've interviewed more."

Heh.  That's revenge.

Charles Lewis
Wednesday, May 14, 2003

I actually got a cold call that started with the formula, "I'm embarassed to say I don't know why I'm calling you, I'm a recruiter and I jotted down your name to call you but I don't remember why."

Lame cold call technique.

Joel Spolsky
Thursday, May 15, 2003

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home