Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Parking

I am coming out to New York in a couple of weeks, and I was wondering if there was somewhere I could park my car outside the city and just take some transportation in.  Does anyone know of a place where that would be possible.  I am coming from Ohio if that helps.

Thanks
Matt

Matt Watson
Sunday, October 12, 2003

You can park in the city for about $25/day.  The NJTransit ticket will cost you about $5 each way and will take about half an hour if you park in Jersey.  You won't really save that much money.  Now if you are staying for a week or more, are you going to want to USE your car during the week or just stash it somewhere?

Michael H. Pryor
Monday, October 13, 2003

> You can park in the city for about $25/day.  The NJTransit ticket will cost you about $5 each way and will take about half an hour if you park in Jersey.  <

$25 * 7 = $175
$5 * 2 = $10

I think he's planning on parking it permenantly somewhere, and not visiting it or using it every day. Otherwise he'd want his car to be near where he's staying. I.e. he's following the advice of an earlier thread.

What about long term parking at an airport? I don't know how much it runs per day, but it's a fixed rate taxi ride, all the cabs know how to get there, and there are always cabs at the airport to take you in to the city. Or you can take public transportation.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Thanks guys, here is what I am planning on doing... I am going to drive into Jersey and take a train into the city.  I looked on the NJTransit website, and they recommend getting on the train in Iselin, NJ and taking the train to New York. 
$5 a day to park and about $7 per person for fares (each way). 
It sounds like a good idea to me.  The train ride is just over an hour.  I had thought of going in closer to like Newark but I was wondering if it would be too crowded and harder to find cheap parking. 

Does that sound like a good idea?

Matt Watson

Where are you driving from?  I.e. where do you live?

Why not just take the amtrak the whole way here?  Let's you off in the same place... and then you don't even need your car at all.

Michael H. Pryor

i would recommend parking it in manhattan. there are lots in east midtown for $25/day. in the previous thread no one seemed to mention that leaving your car in jersey is actually a much sketchier idea than leaving it in a lot in manhattan. (and that driving in jersey is much more of a headache than driving in manhattan). I don't know where you are coming from , but i drive in from Boston all the time and from the north it is much easier to drive into the city than it is to drive over to jersey.

rz

There is no Amtrak here in Columbus, I would have to drive to Cleveland and pick it up there, and then I checked the schedule and the day we are coming back it said there was not a train.  I wish it were that easy.

Matt Watson

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home