Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel on Software graveyard

Joels says there's be new discussion fora, but fora which aren't used much will end in the graveyard.

Any reason why groups should get cut? Is it the disk-space? The screen real-estate? The cognitive confusion?

phil jones
Friday, September 03, 2004

The time it takes to police groups that aren't being used?

Ogami Itto

In a year's time, will we remember this as the beginning of the end for JoS ? Sadly, I think we will.

Nemesis

I think the end started the first time this forum got slashdotted.

When was that?

Ogami Itto

Change is, in general, difficult to accept, however the success of this forum over the past while has been a huge surprise to me given the dearth of features.

Ultimately I think this forum survived more in spite of itself rather than because of some tremendous insight into online communities - Joel's essays attracted some wise people, and it's those people who intrigued me by this board (which makes it especially strange that Joel has shown a contempt for "regulars" in his observation of community - there is nothing special about this forum, quite contrary in fact, beyond the fact that there are some quality people who have hung out here).

Dennis Forbes

A wise man once said, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Nobody comes here because of the amazing features, or lack thereof, it is to see what the regulars have to say. Quite a few of the old regulars seem to have abandoned ship lately, including Joel himself.

Nemesis

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home