Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

New Forum Critic

Two Thumbs Down.

It is NOT going to be as popular as the classic one.  In fact, I predict the readership will significantly go down, worse yet, it will mark the beginning of the death of Joel on Software.

Why?  First of all, IMO, the popularity of JOS is based on its uniqueness; see Joel’s essay on its design and goal.  With new bells and whistlers, Joel seems to have abandoned his original intentions.  Also, with spawning of several JOS variants, I say, they are all going to die just like the New Yorker group because the visitors don’t come here for the Joel’s user net groups; they come here for one and only one reason that is JOS.

On the usability note, I don’t know about most people, but I can’t stand the tiny images.  Why can’t I simply click the author name to send him an email just like in the classic JOS?  When I first heard of the ability to add link, I had something like this in mind,

RM <---E-Mail
www.CNN.com <----- Link

Not with the tiny images.  The new one seems a lot more like the missing link in the evolution of classic JOS to millions of other PHP forums.

Anyway, it is still in beta stage and I hope, he will reconsider.

RM
Friday, September 03, 2004

I agree with you: http://discuss.fogcreek.com/joelonsoftware/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=182807&ixReplies=0

Nemesis

yeap, no web address icons (maybe the url beneath the name?), email by clicking on the name, and we want an *irrelevant* thumbnail in the top-left of each thread (rather than the 'hall').

The salting usernames seems like a good idea too.  Low cost, saves all the not funny trolling etc.

i like i

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home