Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Yuk!!!

<RipeForDeletion>
Sorry guys, but the new forums both suck and blow at the same time, as Bart would say.

Part of the attraction of this forum is the fact that you get lots of topics together. Splitting them out into several seems to be a pain, meaning lots of to-ing and fro-ing between them.

Anyone care to create an aggregator ?

It will be interesting to see if this "experiment" is successful, as I suspect that the fragmentation will be a bad thing overall. It isn't the case (as Joel suggests) that there is too much traffic here, imho. Also, I would assume that most of the JoS readers know how to scroll.

I am interested to see that the new forums appear to be just FogBUGZ databases in a (very) thin disguise. I wonder if this is a new direction for the product?
</RipeForDeletion>

Nemesis
Friday, September 03, 2004

I thought the new forum lost the 'simplistic' appeal that this one has.

Aussie Chick

Did it lose the 'simplistic' appeal, only because the new uses an icon to show whether an email address is available?

Because apart from that, and the change in font, and there now being several forums instead of one, and the promise of a "Search" function that actually searches, I don't notice any other change in appearance/functionality.

Christopher Wells

Give us the old forums back. :)

I wasn't talking about the look and feel (let's face it, it looks like crap, but it is a beta, so you might expect that).

No, my main objection is that there are now several forums instead of just this one. I hope Joel changes his mind on this one and this is just a flag-waving exercise to see if he gets shot down.

Nemesis

I don't think the "themed" forums will work - if only because I've never seen a thread stay completely on topic.  As for the rest - I'm not keen on the new font but otherwise I'm Ok with it - *but* I would like the logon feature that's intended for FogCreek staff to be enabled for the rest of us. 

One thing I've never seen tried is to split a forum into several with completely arbitary names (circle, triangle and square say) and let people sort out their own themeing.  It would still get things down to a manageable size without any particular sub-forum being ignored completely.  Most people would stick to their own favourite "shape" with a few who browsed them all letting us have a small world network.

a cynic writes...

once the URL's are switched over, i won't complain.  As it is, when I click the button, I go to this one, so I use this one.

devinmoore.com

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home