Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Joel on Human Resources

I have devoted a post on:

http://nobscot.blogspot.com

to Joel's views on HR.  HR people need to hear this.

Beth C.

Beth C.
Thursday, September 02, 2004

When I worked in a outsourcing company, they used to hornor some engineer with the title "this month's best engineer" (like KFC).

Actually, sometimes the company  honored *the worst* engineer* in this company.

For example, when deadline came, we found that the design of a project was so bad (actually, it breaks every design principle) that the whole system should be re-built.

The project tech-leader (who is the ONLY designer) was cancelled and serveral SSEs were enlisted from other projects to fix all the bugs in code base. Then the ex-tech-leader is entititled "the best engineer" because our boss said "although he made a mistake, we should reward him because he worked so overtime (to fix his bugs, hehe)"

After get the honor "the best...", the ex-designer quit the job right now.

redguardtoo
http://www.d2ksoft.com

redguardtoo

Who left the door open? Catbert's in the building, reeking of fish.

trollop

My point is, a HR or a manager should learn some basic tech knowledge to *measure* an engineer's work.
They should try to understand the engineer before they are given the right to reward (or punish) an engineer.

Of course I am glad to understand a HR if the boss let me decide the bonus of a HR.

Another story:
On my first work days in an outsourcing company (Yes, many interesting stories happened in that outsourcing company when I worked there), our boss interviewed me , "red, you are a good programmer. but most coders in our company are unqualified, they write dangerous codes (actually, he use building bridge as an analog, but I am unable to translate it).

I was naive then, So I cheerfully went back to my team and gave lessons to my team members, "you are un-qualified programmers! From now on, you shall *ASSERT* everything, you shall write error handle code as much as possbile!..."

Contrary to my expectations, those "un-qualified" coders were glad to take my lessons, "thank you! red! No one in this company has ever taught us such useful knowledge.  thank you ..."

Ok, then I returned to my boss to report that at least my team members are qualified programmers now.

"Great", my boss said.

Then came a Japanese out-sourcing project. Some *smart* Japanese SSEs  invented a kind of profile tool. Our clients aksed us to use such a tool to caculate the code-coverage-ratio in the blackbox tests. The ratio *must* be greater than 70 percent.

The QA team complained to my boss that *only* our team was hard to reach 70 percent.

"Something is wrong", I explained to my boss, "we write so many assertions and error handle code. You know, it is hard to let assertions failed in blackbox test... I can explain all to the Japanese.."

"*Only* your team failed with code coverage test. What the hell are asserttions? Delete all those rubbish now!", my boss said.

It was my first and maybe my last project to use code-coverage tools. When the project was over, I quit from the company.

Before my story is over, I want to thank those *smart* Japanese SSEs because they have successfully proved that some Chinese out-sourcing coders (I, for example) are too stupid to even take advantage of their delicate QA tools.

redguardtoo
http://www.d2ksoft.com

redguardtoo

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home