Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

difference between java standard and enterprise

The last time I seriously used Java was back in 2001.

Please can somebody tell me the difference between the Java Standard Edition and the Java Enterprise Edition downloads available from www.java.com.

The Java Standard Edition has the compiler, virtual machine and core libraries.

Is the Enterprise edition a superset of the standard edition _or_ does it just contain extra libraries for things like XML, servlets, JSP etc ?

Does the enterprise edition contain the compiler and virtual machine?

Do you have to download the standard edition to get the enterprise edition to work?

Savage
Thursday, September 02, 2004

Yes.

Err, J2EE is just additional libraries (and they may package Sun's app server with it too), for J2EE development. This means servlets, JSPs, EJBs etc.  You need J2SE also if you want to do J2EE development. 

vince

I'm also confused as well - here's what I have:

J2SE 1.4.2

Tomcat

JSTL

Then J2EE is just additional class libraries?

confused

J2EE popularly is the worthy Java. It generally means server Java. JSP, Servlets, etc, are included, of course.  But it also means the standardized APIs for server Java, for which there may be different implementations. Generally, someone who does Java, does J2EE.

Then there is J2SE, which is generally just a means to an end. It includes de core Java and the core Java tools, like the compiler. It's so basic that it generally isn't worthy. It includes the Java GUI, for example. :-)

Tomcat is simply one of the many different J2EE server implementations. It's freely available and is one of the prime implementations.

Well, that's one way of saying it. :-)

Dewd

To clarify, Tomcat is not a J2EE server. It's basically only a Servlet container. A J2EE server is comprised of various sets of functionality, of which Tomcat can provide a part.

As an example, later versions of JBoss use Tomcat as the Servlet container.

Andrew Cherry

For yet another clarification, J2EE is the standardization of Java _interfaces_, not an implementation.  Sun recently made their J2EE app server either cheap or free but every vendor's implementation is a little different in some respects since some of the specifications have quite a bit of grey.

Jeremy

JSP's/servlets are part of j2ee.
tomcat is the server that runs jsps/servlets
jsps/servlets are a good part of j2ee to start on, and possibly the only one you will ever need

the artist formerly known as prince

J2ee is j2se + a whole bunch of APIs.

JMS
JTA
Servlet
EJB
JNDI
JavaMail
etc. etc. etc.

The langauge is exactly the same,  there's just a whole bunch of libraries to learn.

Koz
Friday, September 03, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home