Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

laser printers

Any recommendations for a low-cost laser printer for home use?

Aint nobody here but us developers
Thursday, September 02, 2004

Oops, forgot to do a search first, so this thread can be deleted.

Aint nobody here but us developers

How many pages?
Although the new Dell 5100cn has a $900 initial outlay, its TCO.is going to be hard to beat in many scenarios.

Just me (Sir to you)

I'm happy with my Samsung ML2150N. When I was shopping, it seemed to be the best duplex printer for the price - around $350-400, I think.

It has builtin ethernet, and works well with Linux.

I've printed about 3000 pages and never had a paper jam.

Jay Monkman

The Lexmark E232 is not a bad little printer, and it's pretty cheap (~$200) for a mono laser.  If you want a faster network model, you can bump up to the 332n, but it's closer to $500.

A Programmer

The problem with low cost printers of any kind are paper jams.

You might consider why you want a laser printer for home use. If you refill the cartidges then inkjets are affordable, and you get decent color printing (color laser jets still come in at $600)

Stephen Jones

I've had an HP LaserJet 4L for the last 10 years. Works great, though it's only 4ppm, and, uh, they're not really in production anymore.

Adam Vandenberg

Had a Samsung ML-1710 that my wife took, and an ML-1740 that I just bought. Excellent quality, very fast printing, and not subject to HP's godawful drivers. Only paid $150 for it, and toner is only $80. Price/page is very low.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)

Secon Brad. We just bought a 1740 and it's been a trooper.  As an added bonus, currently rebates for something like $50 off, which means when all said and done, will have a nifty little laser for around $100.

<sigh/>

I have a Samsung ML-1210 (which is not made anymore, i don't think.)

It's terrible at printing graphics, but it prints text perfectly and very fast.  I've gone through 4000 pages and haven't had a single paper jam unlike every HP printer I've ever worked with.

I'd buy a Samsung again (thought I'd check reviews and make sure they handle graphics better) simply because the toner is relatively economical, and the page feeder isn't worthless like all low and mid range HPs.

brent

I picked up a Samsung 1510 for just over $100. Small and neat  , and ugly, but with a real paper-slot and USB interface.
Wish I could afford a "big one" with support for double-sided printouts but for the moment it does the job at a great price.

pprint

Okidata sells LED printers - same resolution as laser.

What is good about them is that the toner comes in a $30 tube and the drum is good for about 20,000 pages then is about $150 to replace.

Greatly reduces TCO if you do a lot of printing.

I have a Brother HL-1850 that I love.  I got it about a year ago refurbished for a couple hundred bucks.  From what I read about it, the toner will last a long time.  I haven't had to change it at all, but I don't print tons.

Things I like about it - it's so much quieter than my old Inkjet.  Also, I can keep it on and it goes quietly to sleep.

It's way faster than an Inkjet.

It prints duplex, which is very nice.

David (www.davesez.com)

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home