Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Usenet Web sites

Anyone know of any Web sites that allow you to post without displaying your real email address? I'd like to avoid my email address being harvested by spammers.

Otra vez
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

uhhh.. could you be slightly more vague?

muppet

Sorry, my bad, muppet, it's been a long week. Here's what I meant to write:

Anyone know of any Web sites that allow you to post to a Usenet newsgroup without displaying your real email address? I'd like to avoid my email address being harvested by spammers.

Otra vez

If you're posting to a web site, then the web site asks you to give it the email address, no? what's stopping you from writing a fake email address?

GD

GD, what I'm looking for is a Web site that allows me to post to a Usenet newsgroup without displaying my real email address.

There used to be such a Web site where you had to enter your real email address to use it but you could specify an alternate email address and that alternate was what ended up on your newsgroup message.

Otra vez

Make a temporary email somewhere like hotmail or mailinator, then when it says "what is your REAL email address", lie and give them the temporary one.

Mr. O

Why not use a usenet reading program? Every single one ever written will let you do exactly this.

Tom_

Thanks Tom. Any recommendations?

Otra vez

Outlook Express.

muppet

Outlook Express

Mr. Hat

SECOND!

Mr. Hat

Outlook Express is the suck.

Use Forte Agent.

Bob's Your Uncle

I've used a hojillion Usenet clients.  Despite being a Microsoft product, OE is probably the best one I've used (though it lacks some features I'd like to see implemented well).

muppet

Try groups.google.com.

From the Posting FAQ:

"4. I don't want my email address to be published on the web, but I still want to post. How can I hide my email address?
We require a valid email address to post to Google Groups. If you don't want your normal email address to be listed, we encourage you to sign up for an anonymous account with one of the many free email services available on the web and to post from that account."

_

Don't use the groups myself, but Mozilla Thuna'bird is a newsgroup client.  It positively rocks as a POP/IMAP client, so maybe it would be good as a news client too.

OffMyMeds

Thunderbird is a good news reader -- basically the same thing that was in Netscape Communicator 3 (but that was good too -- usenet has been around a long time).

AMS
Thursday, September 02, 2004

I like XNews. I found it easier to use than Forte, maybe just because I found it first.

Most ISP's supply access to usenet, you will need access in order to post.

www.MarkTAW.com

slrn

Microsoft Communities?
http://communities2.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx

Throwaway

Another option is to use me@privacy.net as your email. It's an official, technically valid address for those not wishing to reveal their idenity.

Egor

Mailinator.com. Its designed precisely for just such things.

ronk!

Outlook Express is OK. Make sure you mess about with the maintenance options if you're into offline reading, though, lest it delete unread posts after 7 days.

Microplanet Gravity is also OK. It used to be commercial, but is now free, and supported on and off by one of the original programmers (or something like that).

Agent is OK too, but seems mainly designed for binary newsgroups.

List of newsreaders here, along with some indication of how well they fare in the netiquette stakes:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-evaluations.html

Tom_

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home