Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Web based bug trackers

We have to use Test Track Pro here at work for our bug, errr, defect management.  IMHO, this thing sux some major ass.  The database and other backend parts seem fine, the user interface... Yeeech.  It sucks in so many ways I don't even want to get started.  To be honest, the only thing they did right was to keep the little box with the 'x' in it in the upper right corner to close the window.

So, is it me or does TTPro truly suck?  And is Fogbugz any better, seeing how it's also web based?

Snotnose
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

You can try FogBUGZ free for, like, thirty days.  I thought the UI on it was excellent, and the features, workflow and robustness were all great.

We ended up going with Flyspray for other reasons though -- mainly simplicity, decent UI and the fact that it's free.

OffMyMeds

We use Rational ClearQuest, thing looks like it was put together by blind infant gorillas.

Sassy

>We use Rational ClearQuest, thing looks like it was put together by blind infant gorillas.

That's offensive.  We are *fully grown* blind gorillas.

Bonzo

We never upgraded to TTPro, we're still using the fat client version 2.0.  If the UI of this version is any indication of your version, then I sympathize.  It truly suffers from having too many fields and features, and lacks the ability to clean those things up.

We stick with it because we haven't had a lull in development that would allow us the time to do a transition.  Plus the cost of a new system hasn't justified it yet.

As for free stuff, we've peeked at Bugzilla, but that previous poster mentioned flyspray, which I haven't heard of before.  To convince the boss though, we'll have to reassure him the system is stable, i.e. not submitting bugs for the bug tracking software.  Talk about dogfooding.

Frank "Grimey" Grimes

Bugzilla, or a more lightweight solution would be bugin (both are GPL).

fw

Mantis.

KC

In the past I have used (been forced into using):

Test Track
Mercury Test Director
Peoplesoft QMS

Test Director was pretty decent.

Test Track was OK.

Peoplesoft was a Piece O' Trash. (Test Track is light years ahead)

I can't understand why Oracle would want this crap.....

Genx'er

We have used FogBugz for several years now and it works great.  It is simple and well thought-out.  I know this looks likes a shameless suck-up, but I really do like it.  The thing that I like about FogBugz is that it doesn't get in the way of what you are trying to do.  That is, there aren't 20 irrelevant fields to fill in just to work on a bug.  I find that our developers and techs use it a lot because it is so fast and easy to enter something.  If it was much more complex, I don't know if we would get as much use out of it.

Kappy

+1 for FlySpray. The good thing about it is that it's easy to use and free.

TheGeezer

JIRA (http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/) is quite sharp, comes with source, and the company has a great policy of providing the software to open-source projects for free so they can gain some exposure. Good stuff.

Chris Winters

Does every Java-based program *have* to start with a 'J'?

At least it tells you what software to avoid.

:)

We also use Mantis.  It's not perfect, but the interface is okay, it's free, it's easy to install and easy to use.

saberworks

My vote goes for Mantis as well

jedidjab79
Thursday, September 02, 2004

> So, is it me or does TTPro truly suck?  And is Fogbugz any better, seeing how it's also web based?

I haven't used TTPro.

FogBUGZ is good enough for me. As well as its having a free trial, there are screenshots of it at http://www.fogcreek.com/FogBUGZ/HowFogBUGZWorks.html

Christopher Wells

I had my first experience with ClearQuest a few weeks ago. It is now my reigning champion example of software gone wrong. It uses Java applets for every form field instead of the HTML elements. It's frame-based and the menu gets replaced when you go into an editing section with the action buttons for that editing content located in a different frame.

Worst. App. Ever. (and we also use the help desk system Magic)

Bill Brown

I went to the Jira site. It looked good. I was curious about the price. I have to register to enter their software center where maybe I have to allow a salesman to call me ... who knows. Is this stupid or what am I missing here?

About Mantis. Just don't ever try and change anything. I found the thing a MESS ... but it's usable as it.

me

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home