Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Growing your business

Anyone have any experiences to share about going from a consulting / virtual team, to a "real" consulting business (with offices, a salesperson, fulltime employees)?  How did you do it?  Was it a matter of waiting for that "huge project" that gives you the resources to expand?

ThisIsSerious
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

==>Anyone have any experiences to share about going from a consulting / virtual team, to a "real" consulting business (with offices, a salesperson, fulltime employees)?  How did you do it?  Was it a matter of waiting for that "huge project" that gives you the resources to expand?

To paraphrase Nike: JUST DO IT!

There are no secrets, and there are as many ways to actually do it as there are " 'real' consulting business[es]"

If you're waiting on that "huge project", you may be waiting forever. We typically get the "huge project" only about every 3 years. The bulk of our projects are small one-to-three month projects.

The thing is, don't spend it all. Bootstrap it. The profit made from this job, goes to investing in the business for use on the next job (and so on).

Sgt. Sausage
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

> How did you do it?

I've never done it, but perhaps instead of "waiting for a huge project", the way to do it is when you get one project, you don't let that prevent you from continuing to look for another one: perhaps have junior people who you're mentoring, who do some of the work of implementing existing projects, which leaves you free to do the hardest portion (i.e. the initial portion) of new projects.

Christopher Wells
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Sgt Sausage,

A question about your tact of hiring a sales person. Do you think that this approach would scale to a one person shop?

Or let me turn it around. Suppose it was just you in the business, and your new business development sucked and you felt that you needed a boost like this. What would you do?

Every programmer that I know that is any good is employed, so the pool of partner candidates is slim. And somehow, I don't think the answer for me is to band with other techies who have the same aversion to the marketing process. 

My guess is that this could work if I were willing to assume the role of a manager and subcontract work out if the sales person was "too successful" (that sounds funny...)

Bored Bystander
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home