Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

What motivates you to post online?

Entertainment?

Self-enlightenment through debate with those of an alternate opinion?

Building a professional name?

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 30, 2004

Why do you want to know?

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 30, 2004

Seeing my name out on the Information Superhighway, it makes me feel important.

Anonymous
Monday, August 30, 2004

Curiousity. Nothing more. I guess this one falls under the "entertainment" category.

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 30, 2004

I like to help.  I like to cause trouble.  I like to learn.  Sometimes all three at the same time...

Actively Disengaged
Monday, August 30, 2004

For me it is a convenient form of human interaction.  I can ignore all of you fairly easily if I want to ;P  If I go around talking to my co-workers that would require a far larger investment of time and patience.  I have found I post a lot more now that I am working in a cube farm than I did when working for a smaller shop. 

Jon Lindbo
Monday, August 30, 2004

For similar reasons as for speaking a second language, i.e. intellectual stimulation, practicing being social, and broadening my mind; also, to "pay forward"; also, because I pick up tips and bits of news here that are useful to me, both professionally and as a human being ... by trying to provide this kind of "tip" myself I hope to establish this forum as a place where this kind of information exchange happens (i.e. it's an application of the Golden Rule).

Christopher Wells
Monday, August 30, 2004

To troll and start flamewars, of course. ;)

Flamebait Sr.
Monday, August 30, 2004

Boredom.

Monday, August 30, 2004

In this forum, what motivates me is learning what other people think (especially Joel, that other guy from Microsoft, Visayan, even Muppet in his milder moments).

I've also gotten several very good information links to tools I would never have seen without this forum.  Also insights as to what Microsoft is doing and why.

Also, I do like helping others when I can.  Being Trolled is not fun -- but that's the cost of doing business. 

I do feel that this forum is allowing me to open the pigeon-hole my 'normal' employment tends to keep me in.

AllanL5
Monday, August 30, 2004

<QUOTE>
I do feel that this forum is allowing me to open the pigeon-hole my 'normal' employment tends to keep me in.
</QUOTE>

I have the same feeling.  This forum brought me a lot of information that I'd never get otherwise.

I don't post that often here, usually I take so long to write a comprehensible post, that someone just posts my POV before me.

But I read it all the time.

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Monday, August 30, 2004

For the chicks!

_
Monday, August 30, 2004

I like to help. When things are slow, I cruise the boards.

Peter
Monday, August 30, 2004

Boredom/wanting a distraction
and also it is a great way to communicatw with other like minded people.

Aussie Chick
Monday, August 30, 2004

OMFG AUSSIE CHIX0R A/S/L??!!

muppet
Monday, August 30, 2004

+++Also, I do like helping others when I can. Being Trolled is not fun.+++

Well, you probably should limit your comments and you won't be trolled.

Monday, August 30, 2004

I'm like Woody Woodpecker -- a trouble maker.

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 30, 2004

I like muppets

muppet
Monday, August 30, 2004

To answer for myself, given that I didn't in the OP, I post for pretty much a combination of the list (which explains where I got that list).

-It's a nice entertaining distraction sometimes. It is enjoyable discussing something as obtuse as learning English from a Chinese gentleman who doesn't know English very well, or whether buffer overflows are acceptable.

-I love debating, and fervent online disagreements have definitely altered my opinions over the years (I always remain flexible in my beliefs, which makes me unlike most people who think that consistency of belief is a good thing).

-Professionally I think there is value to having some "namespace", even if subconsciously ("Hrmmm...I've heard of this guy somewhere...must be a real pro..."), with professionals in the field.

Dennis Forbes
Monday, August 30, 2004

"I always remain flexible in my beliefs, which makes me unlike most people who think that consistency of belief is a good thing"

Wait a minute, Dennis, are you saying you're a 'flip-flopper'?! ;-)

Wisea**
Monday, August 30, 2004

I post mostly to ridicule others and make myself feel more superior.

Monday, August 30, 2004

My "blog" focuses on self-funded software companies and how to start them.

I do it because:

1.  I want to eventually create a sort-of textbook that any software engineer can follow to start his own company.

2.  I want to try to build some name recognition.

I also post to remind and re-teach myself what I've already learned.

Daniel Howard
Monday, August 30, 2004

"Boredom/wanting a distraction
and also it is a great way to communicate with other like minded people."

I too like to communicate with other bored and distracted people!  Hi Muppet.

Almost Anonymous
Monday, August 30, 2004

Too much wisdom to keep to myself -- gotta share!

profound insights galore
Monday, August 30, 2004

I read to learn.  But why do I post?  Um...I guess to show off what I've learned?  Needless to say I don't post much.  :(

Kyralessa
Monday, August 30, 2004

link time. It takes about 30sec - 1 minute to link the current project at work (nothing i can do about ;-(, so where do you go?  JOS

Michael Moser
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

.. and then you have to recompile the project, due to interface changes. Then its JOS time again.

Michael Moser
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

...They may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? We choose to ... post to JoS.

www.MarkTAW.com
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Yep. Michael Moser said it for me, too. When the build takes 20 minutes or more there is plenty of opportunity to post to JoS :-(

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

why in the world would you frown about that?  Breaktime is good time.  I pity you freaking drones sometimes, but only sometimes.

muppet
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Because I would actually rather be working. In the amount of time I spend waiting for my computer I could finish War & Peace in a week.

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Sounds great.  You should do that.  You might learn something.

muppet
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

--- --- Because I would actually rather be working. In the amount of time I spend waiting for my computer I could finish War & Peace in a week. ----

Sounds great.  You should do that.  You might learn something.  --- ---

Computers are good at multitasking, Humans are not.

Michael Moser
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Speak for yourself.  I rock at multitasking.

muppet
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Even if you rock at multi-tasking, that doens't mean Hoser is wrong.  He said HUMANS aren't good at it. :-)

Ricardo Antunes da Costa
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Muppet,

The quicker you get that ritalin the better,

Fraggle
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I guess I post because I'm just a worrier.  That's why my friends call me "whiskers."

Harry Caray
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I do it all for the nookie.... the nookie.

Seriously, I stumbled on this place and some of the stuff I read identified it as an apex of intellect... sort of.

I am Jack's Limp Bizkit
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

---"Muppet,

The quicker you get that ritalin the better, "-----

I'm told cyanide is the medication of choice for muppet's disorder.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

And your opinion, Sathyaish?

Alex
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

I post on JoS because I enjoy chatting with other programmers. Just for the fun of it, not like in mind-boggling topic-restrictive mailing-list-type discussions. Since I don't work in an office or have programmer friends, I can't get that kind of entertainment anywehere.

Egor
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Because I'm a loudmouthed, narcissistic pig.

Admit it, that's the only reason anybody posts anything online: You see some fool shooting his mouth off and you say to yourself, "Jesus, I know I'm an idiot, but that guy's even dumber than I am! Guess I'll have to set him straight..."

Aarrgghh
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home