Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SSL Certificate

I want to run SSL on my website.

My ISP recommends Geo Trust ( http://www.geocerts.com ); I hadn't heard of them, but they are cheaper than Thawte or Verisign.

Basically, I would be ok to go with GeoTrust as long as it's a
certificate that will be recognized and accepted by the majority of
web browsers as a default authority (I know it's possible to add
certificate authorities to a web browser's list, but that's a
client-side action and we can't guarantee people will know how to do
that) -- the whole point of this, after all, is to avoid people seeing
certificate warnings when they use the SSL part of our site.

My ISP says Geo Trust won't have any issues in that regard, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with them.

Chill
Monday, August 30, 2004

This smells like a lame marketing attempt but I'll bite.

You said GeoTrust but pointed your link to GeoCerts.  GeoCerts appears to be one of those useless middleman type businesses that resells GeoTrust certificates and "passes the savings on to you".  The confusing name is clue #1.  I'd stear clear of them.  SSL certificatation "authorities" are a questionable industry to start with.  Middlemen make it even worse.

Doug
Monday, August 30, 2004

http://www.instantssl.com/

seems to work. i have no idea how they fit into the reseller universe, but think they're pretty high up the chain (they are owned by the issuer/are the issuer)

mb
Monday, August 30, 2004

Yep, I second InstallSSL (Comodo SSL)

They are cheap and have excellent browser compatibility. They are a good choice

Dan G
Monday, August 30, 2004

+1 for InstantSSL.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 30, 2004

For what it's worth, I notice the GeoTrust CA certificate is installed with Firefox, but I don't see a cert for InstantSSL or Comodo...

joev
Monday, August 30, 2004

that's because the comodo class 3 cert is in turn signed by the GTE CyberTrust Global Root.

the ui to view certs in firefox isn't very good, maybe worse than internet explorer. but it's all there.

mb
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home