Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

SQL Server Reporting Services

I'm having problems with reporting services, and I'm looking for some help.  My report is a very simple matrix.

1)  Exporting to PDF or Tiff results in lots of blank pages.

2) Exporting to Excel ignores the background colours I set for totals.  The 'total' label cell is coloured properly, but the actual value cells in the total column or row is left white.

Anyone have any ideas?

You can see my problem here.  I need to print the reports.  If you can't print from the report manager, and the rendering is messed up in the PDF, tiff and in Excel, what am I supposed to do?

I posted this in the Microsoft newsgroup, and as usual got no response.  I've had better luck here.  If there are lots of people using reporting services (and I can see from the Microsoft newsgroup there are), someone must have an answer.  Because if there was no answer, nobody would be using it!

Scott Stonehouse
Monday, August 30, 2004

Write to Scoble, he can direct you to someone.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Have you looked at Crystal Reports lately?

Bizarro Philo
Monday, August 30, 2004

Possilble answer to 1) - make the report narrower - the blank page you are seeing are likely the "overhang" of an over-wide page.

Duncan Smart
Monday, August 30, 2004

That's exactly what it is - a pagegrowing too big.  But I'm sure it's a reporting services bug.

The matrix is inside a list (of course).  When the matrix grows, the list also grows.  But the matrix fits the page, the list shoots onto the next page.  Even though the list is supposed to be the same size as the matrix.  The only way to get rid of the blank page is to shrink the matrix so that it only fills 3/4 of the page or something.  That's no good when you are trying to develop a report.  You end up with a tiny font and a whole bunch of whitespace.

Scott Stonehouse
Monday, August 30, 2004

Most likely the blank pages in PDF are caused by the matrix growing too large horizontally. Note that any items to the right of the matrix will get pushed horizontally as the matrix grows.

The Excel color issue is probably related to the fact that colors get mapped to a limited Excel palette. We currently don't support custom palettes so you might have to try a slightly different color.

Brian Welcker
Thursday, September 02, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home