Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Windows Update required services??

I've been using the Windows Update website since it's inception and it never required me to have certain services running.

Now it requires that the Automatic Update (AU), BITS, and Event Log services running.

WTF?

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

It's a cascading requirement of the new Windows Update.

Windows Update uses Automatic Updates, which uses BITS, which uses the Event Log (how can you seriously disable the Event Log on a PC?).

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 30, 2004

I don't disable the event log, but I do disable AU and BITS.

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

Also, not only does it require the services to be RUNNING but it also requires them to be on Automatic start.

Do I need Microsoft to babsit me now while I use my computer??

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

Correction: "babsit" should have been "babysit".

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

You could go back to updating your computer manually, then, if you feel the need to whine about what's needed for the automatic updates. *shrug*

Monday, August 30, 2004

Brad Wilson, what is your problem?

Did you wake up on the wrong side of your mother this morning?

Your last post wasn't even a complete sentence, so I'm assuming that you've got some mental issues today.  Therefore, I forgive you for being an a$$hole and jumping down my throat. (All I did was make a complaint, Microsoft must be your favorite company or something).

Either that or you've got nothing better to do but respond to posts that don't really interest you and you're being an a$$hole on purpose.

OK, you've wasted enough of my time, good day sir!

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

Oh yeah, since we're getting personal here I figured that I'd let you know that the last 5-6 posts on your stupid website are *whining* about something.

Boohoo, I had to get a cable modem instead of DSL. I had to move and it sucked! They don't allow encryption in my P2P app, (whine, whine, whine). My wife and I are getting a divorce.

Good for her, you're a miserable bastard.

I guess we're even then, no?

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

Note to self: stop helping people.

Monday, August 30, 2004

Sheez, Wayne, for all your venom, you read Brad's ENTIRE SITE to base your unprovoked criticism upon.

Brad:  Anybody whose website URL contains the word "grrl" is nobody you ought to try and have a relationship with, anyway.  :P

My divorce sucked but in retrospect it's the best damn thing that ever happened to me.

muppet
Monday, August 30, 2004

You guys are so cute when you're angry.

Anon
Monday, August 30, 2004

"What do you mean I have to have electricity to run Windows?!? WTF!!!!!1!!1!!!ONE!!! Those assholes at Microsoft are in bed with the electricity cartel!!"

Okay, I feel better. :)

Monday, August 30, 2004

Yeah, at this point in my life, the divorce is good, not bad. Even if I haven't managed to unpack yet. ;)

Monday, August 30, 2004

OK, so back to the point:  Why is a Windows Service needed to send me a few files? (hint: this is nowhere along the same magnitude as needing electricity)

If every software product that you owned needed a Windows Service to run in order to provide this type of behavior, how long do you think it would take your laptop to start up?

(Oh yeah, Brad your comments so far have been a BIG help and on topic at that.)

Bizarro Philo
Monday, August 30, 2004

And no, I did not read an ENTIRE site called "techies with cats".

If it were not for today's provocation my browser gaydar would have picked it up and given me an error.

Bizarro Philo
Monday, August 30, 2004

OK, I admit it.  I'm Bizarro Philo.

You caught me (ouch!)

Wayne
Monday, August 30, 2004

And you're moaning because you have to have cable  modem!

My exchange there is no DSL; as it is a residential area where nearly all are either college lecturers or technical consultants for the government you would think we were the obvious candidate for upgrading the exchange but the guy from one of the local ISP's spilled the beans - with the Technical College, the new techinical institute and the Royal Commission all on the exchange the phone company is making a fortune on leased lines and has no desire to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs.

And the DSL I can't get is 128kbs downstream for $70 a month (and it goes through a censorship proxy).

I could get a satellite link, 256kbs maximum down and 128kbs maximum up "at off-peak times" which makes you wonder what you get onpeak, but even though the $130 a month would be cheaper than the phone bill for dialup, they actually want about $1,200 up front, so I think I'll have to give it a miss for a couple of months.

So I'm stuck with dialup, and at present the connection cuts out for hours at a time, or reconnects at 12kbs or simply does nothing - it appears to affect the whole exchange, so it's pointless my looking at the connection.

So, if we're having a whineathon dear Brad, count me in!

Stephen Jones
Monday, August 30, 2004

Having automatic updates as the only choice appears to be a decision of SP2. I'm in favour of having it as the default, but not that you can't go back to manual.

However if you are having the automatic downloads, then you do need to have BITS, since you don't want the updates downloading while you are trying to beat the other guy at online Quake or whatever.

Stephen Jones
Monday, August 30, 2004

Err.. Brad wasn't whining.  The whining is on his site, which Wayne chose to visit.  Brad is fully within his rights to whine on his own website.  Wayne is the one bitching, here.  Don't be an ass, Stephen.

muppet
Monday, August 30, 2004

And, interestingly, if you read the post, I'm not whining about having to get a cable modem. I'm whining about the fact the Qwest wouldn't allow me to get DSL as I'd wanted, because I choose non-Qwest as my local phone company. I think it's a dirty trick made to entice people into paying too much for phone service, just so they can get DSL, too, which caused me to get about half the speed I could've otherwise had.

I'm not at all unhappy with the cable modem. I just would've been much happier with DSL.

Windows Update requires a service because they chose to require a service this time around. The new Windows Update engine is all centered in the Automatic Update service; before, it was split into two pieces of code. This simplification is a GOOD thing.

So you don't want to run the service. Then don't. Update everything by hand. Run Linux. Just shut the fuck up already.

Monday, August 30, 2004

<kbarticle>
Right-click My Computer.
Click Properties
Click the Automatic Updates tab
Click the radio button marked "Turn off Automatic Updates"
Click OK.
</kbarticle>

Nobody's forcing your hand here, really.

Greg Hurlman
Monday, August 30, 2004

Dear Greg

After I installed SP2 the radio button to uninstall automatic updates is grayed out. Might be a company thing, but as it's my personal laptop I'm none too pleased.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

"Brad is fully within his rights to whine on his own website"

Dear muppet,

And what right do you have to make the rules here?

(hint: NONE)

Dear Brad,

You don't need a Windows Service to send me an update. End of story. (also, you're an idiot who probably thinks that this is a GOOD thing.)

Wayne
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Hehe, sorry it just really makes me laugh that you think that a Windows Service, actually TWO of them, should be required to perform this simple operation.

Really funny dude. Remind me to never buy any of your software.

Wayne
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

+++And what right do you have to make the rules here?
+++

Ok Wayne, let me try to talk to you in your own language.

Who's making any fucking rules here, dipshit?  Brad whined on his own damned page, you told him his opinions on this site are therefore invalid.  Care to explain your astounding logic?

muppet
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Two completely separate things here:
a) the inability to turn off automatic updates after SP2
b) the fact that Windows uses two services for automatic updates - this second point seems reasonable to me. As I have said BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service) is there to stop Windows update interfering with your normal internet experience. A perfectly good thing.

Stephen Jones
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

"Err.. Brad wasn't whining.  The whining is on his site, which Wayne chose to visit."  - muppet (fuckhead)

"Brad is fully within his rights to whine on his own website." - muppet...IMPLYING THAT NOBODY HAS A RIGHT TO WHINE ON THIS WEBSITE ---- MAKING A RULE --- WHO'S THE DIPSHIT??)

So, let's see here...everyone on this board makes fun of muppet because he's an asshole. Now you're even MORE of an asshole because you've picked up an argument that wasn't even your own and made multiple idiotic off-topic statements.

Wayne: 3
mupppet: 0

Also, Stephen seems to be the only level headed person here besides myself who likes to keep things on topic and not get fucking personal about a stupid piece of software.

The rest of you little bitches need to be beaten into submission.

Wayne
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

OK, so Stephen off-topic commented on the DSL thing, but who cares.

I can find about 50 posts calling muppet an asshole, he's famous for it.

I can find multiple rude postings from cat-freak Brad, things like "just do a Google search", "I know how to do that, you must be an idiot", or other useless noise.

It's obvious that you two belong together.

Wayne
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home