Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Writing an Ad

If you were writing an ad for your development services, would you state your rate and contract requirements up front ($75 an hr, minimum 3 mo minimum contract), or keep it vague and when someone contacts you, then try and sell them on your services?

Startup
Monday, August 30, 2004

Vague.

Mr. O
Monday, August 30, 2004

If you are always going to charge an hourly rate then quote it up front.  If you are going to mix hourly rate projects with fixed price projects then its best not to mention an hourly rate in ads.

Actively Disengaged
Monday, August 30, 2004

Ad's should usually focus on differentiating your product or service from the competition.  So unless you have lower or higher prices than most, it would be best to focus on other qualities.

Scot
Monday, August 30, 2004

And yes, that should be "Ads"...

Scot
Monday, August 30, 2004

If it were me, I'd push the fact that I was offerring a high quality service and charge accordingly.  If you look at most adverts these days, normally you have to request pricing information from companies/contractors.  They typicall do not state it up-front.

Therefore, in answer to your question, I would not state rate and contract requirements up-front.

TheGeezer
Monday, August 30, 2004

If your ad is trying to reach big companies, there's probably not a need to specify the rate, since it can be negotiated easily.

If it's for medium businesses or individuals, yes, you need to specify the rate, so you don't waste time with cheap-skates who can't pay.

Monday, August 30, 2004

No one will contact you. You need to contect them. If you do an ad, create a web blog, write an article on some site (not necesarily technical), and get others to boost up you pedigree. Kind of like google ranking but have people say you are a genius, you say they are a genius. Sooner or later the masses will believe.

Tom Vu
Monday, August 30, 2004

Tom Vu, that is trully briliant

Tony
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home