Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Search engine personalization

I am halfway through "S/E/O for Dummies" by Peter Kent 'cause we're revising the website and this crops up:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/08/26/1093456733709.html

Does this help or hinder ISV's? We are fortunate in one way by having lucked on a niche market (it's *very* niche, more by good luck than good management where we can get Adword exposure cheaply and get high rankings with generic seaches on relevant keywords) so are only vaguely aware of site tweaking voodoo from abovementioned background reading and encountering enthusiasts at trade shows.

How much tweaking do ISV's have to do? Has bidding higher CPC's and tweaking hard to get exposure worked?
Responses ranging anywhere from Yes/no/maybe upto a link to a proven market plan are most welcome.

trollop
Sunday, August 29, 2004

My experience has been that it (pay-per-click bid strategizing) can help if there's a lot of competition.  There are a lot of different directions you can go in as far as strategizing your placement of bids, appropriating funds relative to ad performance, and so on.  I made this little program a couple of years ago to automate some of these common practices:

http://kalanithielen.com/portfolio/bidagent/index.htm

I've had a number of other ideas for it too, but I stopped working on it as a possible product when I found out that Overture wants a lot of money from ISVs making programs like this, and Google doesn't allow it at all.  However, I think there's a lot of room in this market for software people, once the barriers to entry are let down a bit.

Kalani
Sunday, August 29, 2004

it's odd how one's early choice of search engine colours and cramps one's outlook. Can you credit I was unaware of Overture before your post, and yes, there it is explained in chapter 15 of the Dummies book, right beside Google's which I do use.

Thank you for showing the various analyses you can run.

trollop
Wednesday, September 01, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home