Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Strange Windows XP Behavior

On my Windows XP (SP1) box, I've got the screensaver setup to require a login.  Formerly, I would get the login screen used at startup (or switch user).  A few days ago, I starting getting an "Unlock Computer" dialog box instead.

Also, when I do Start -> Shutdown, I no longer get the dialog box with the large, colorful Logout, Shutdown, and Restart buttons.  Instead I get a dialog box with a combo box that has the sames options (plus standby).

I've scanned for viruses and checked my system with Ad-Aware and Spybot, so as far as I can ,y system is clean.

Any clues?

Yet another anon
Sunday, August 29, 2004

The Fix:

Open "control panel"
Select/Open "user accounts"

You will see a header that says "Pick a task..."
Click on "change the way users log on or off"

Check both check boxes and apply changes.

thats all.

brianj
Sunday, August 29, 2004

I've always had what you see. There is a setting to change but I can't remember what it is, and I'm not seeing what the other guy sees in Users in Control Panel.

Some programs, such as Ghost, will insist on this logon. Just get used to it.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Back in the day (and I assume still currently) prospective Naval Aviators were screened using a similary two part test called the "AQT/FAR".  It was (is?) a two part written test for prospective aviators; one part tests math aptitude and the other tests aptitude for flying.  If you fail, you were (are) disqualified from eligibility for the flight program.  My recollection, although some 20+ years ago, was that it was it was pretty straight forward.

<sigh/>
Sunday, August 29, 2004

dumbass posted in wrong forum, disregard

<sigh/>
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Yet another anon,

Was your machine added to a domain recently ? Whether a WinXP machine is part of a domain or part of a workgroup makes a difference on its login behavior.

InsideInfo
Monday, August 30, 2004

InsideInfo, I think you nailed it.  I installed some VPN software for my wife to connect into her work this week.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together because ...

(1) The different login screens didn't start immdeiately after the VPN installation.  It was 2 or 3 days later.

(2) I would periodically get the dfifferent login screen previously.  But it would only happen when my PC lost communications with my router.

I actually like this login screen better.  I was just perplxed by Windows self-modifying behavior.

Yet another anon
Monday, August 30, 2004

The loss of functionality in this mode is that you cannot switch users.

Not that I need it too often, but I couldn't figure out why you're not allowed to switch users (to a local user) when you're part of a domain.

InsideInfo
Monday, August 30, 2004

The birhgt 'n' colourful login screen is not allowed for domain-connected computers for a couple of reasons; one, if you have 1,000 users, scrolling through the list to find yours is going to be a PITA; two, clicking on a name in the list makes an initial attempt to log on with no password, and if that fails it then prompts you for one -- this would probably cause a lot of people to get locked out of their accounts under the "three strikes and you're out" rule normally deployed.

Why this means user switching is disabled I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect there's some special behind-the-scenes magic that won't work, or possibly because domains are normally restricted to corporate customers, and user switching may confuse some people and raise a lot of support calls.  (Heck, I had to turn it off at home because my SO kept leaving herself logged in and hogging all my CPU time. :)

Mat Hall
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home