Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

GmailFS - Gmail Filesystem

Wasn't someone asking about using Gmail as a file system the other day? Anyway someones gone ahead and done it: http://richard.jones.name/google-hacks/gmail-filesystem/gmail-filesystem.html

Matthew Lock
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Bah. Don't you hate it when you have a good idea, get all excited, start coding, then find out that someone's already done it?  Kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

ok, next idea....

brad
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Oh look it's on Slashdot now: http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/08/29/0237213&tid=198&tid=217&tid=106&tid=218

Matthew Lock
Sunday, August 29, 2004

I hope he has a generous hosting plan.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Oh wait.... the server is probably just pointing to his Gmail account anyway. ;-)

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Just what I need. A really, really slow 1GB hard drive.

Seriously, what's the point? GMail is just so needlessly hyped up, IMHO, and this kind of stuff is just silly.

sid
Sunday, August 29, 2004

"Just what I need. A really, really slow 1GB hard drive.

Seriously, what's the point? GMail is just so needlessly hyped up, IMHO, and this kind of stuff is just silly."

Yes, I agree totally.  The GB of space has everyone enamored.  It's a fine email service.  Why the hell do I want a 1 GB file server in the sky that is incredibly slow. 

Also in a post I saw on Slashdot (so I know it's true) someone made the point that Google does not want everyon filling up their gig now.  They want it to be used as intended - for email.  That way it will fill up over a long period of time.  Down the road when drive space is cheaper they aren't shelling out much to give you that gig.

I could be wrong though, Gmail may cure aids and end world hunger.

Mike
Sunday, August 29, 2004

An almost hassle free gig is useful. Ok, I've got thumb drives and external USB HDs and DVD's but it still is an extra back up - useful if I want a kind of free FTP.

Stephen Jones
Sunday, August 29, 2004

I think the project is intended as more of a gee-whiz thing than a serious utility.

brad
Sunday, August 29, 2004

One thing I found interesting in the Slashdot comments is the number of people who are against this idea, because it violates Gmail's TOS and uses up the gig of memory in a way that the user will not see any ads.

Yoey
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Actually, I read through Gmail's TOS and didn't see how this would violate it. Did I miss something?

brad
Sunday, August 29, 2004

"it violates Gmail's TOS and uses up the gig of memory in a way that the user will not see any ads"

Nothing I do on Gmail makes any ads appear anyway. I was really disappointed... I wanted to see what products my rambling matched.

Thom Lawrence
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Somone on Slashdot pointed out that it would make a great remote partition for Knoppix or Linux Live. You walk up to a machine, boot into Linux from the CD and get your data from Gmail.

Matthew Lock
Sunday, August 29, 2004

As opposed to just getting the data from a USB drive.. Which would seem to me to be the better solution.

sid
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Last time I checked 1Gb USB drives were still reasonably expensive. Anyway I'm sure it's not meant to replace USB drives, it's just a cool hack.

Matthew Lock
Sunday, August 29, 2004

"You shall not, shall not agree to, and shall not authorize or encourage any third party to: (i) use the Service to upload ... any content that ... is otherwise objectionable as reasonably determined by Google ... or (v) act in any way that violates the Program Policies, as may be revised from time to time."

http://www.google.com/gmail/help/terms_of_use.html

Yoey
Sunday, August 29, 2004

A 1GB USB Key can be purchased on eBay for anywhere between $115-129.  That's cheap!!!

At Best Buy and Circuit City they're going for $200

Monday, August 30, 2004

Yoey: note "any third party". As long as you're not sharing your gmail account with others, or using your GmailFS to store your pron collection, I don't see the problem.

brad
Monday, August 30, 2004

Why are you presuming that all are data is objectionalble?

Stephen Jones
Monday, August 30, 2004

From their guidelines...

"You also agree that you will not use any robot, spider, other automated device, or manual process to monitor or copy any content from the Service"

Seems applicable to me.

Edward
Monday, August 30, 2004

"Yoey: note "any third party". As long as you're not sharing your gmail account with others, or using your GmailFS to store your pron collection, I don't see the problem."

Did you miss that "You shall not..." part?

profound insights galore
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home