Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Finding Companies

I am looking for some good sources (preferably websites, but all are welcome) to search for companies within a particular area.

My current motivation is to try to find a job in a neighboring city.  However, I would think this would be useful for digging up some prospective customers for future endeavors as well.

I am sure there a some great resources... they are just escaping me at the moment.

Thanks.
---Seeker

Seeker
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Try http://local.google.com/

Rich Fuchs

"Google Local only searches for locations in the United States right now."

Vladimir Gritsenko

Have you tried, I dunno... a newspaper from that area?

Greg Hurlman

Some libraries provide their own portal into business listing databases like Reference USA (Info USA's commercial edition.) You can search by zip code and SIC code or yellow pages listing, so you can produce lists of businesses by pretty specific criteria.  That's the best free option.

Failing that, you can buy listings from InfoUSA or other list brokers.

Lastly, there's Infospace.com for conducting searches that return limited information.

Bored Bystander

Try the Yellow Pages under Computer Software Companies and Computer Consultants.

When I tried that,  I was amazed at the number of listings. Now many will be small shops but it is a lot of people to contact.

Also, there is www.craigslist.com, if it serves the area you are looking for work in.

I found my present job from a Craigslist posting for the San Francisco Bay Area.

frustrated

Seeker,
Why didn't you mention the city you are interested in?  There is a good chance there might be some JOSers there.

Bill Rushmore
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home