Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Best add-ons for Delphi 7?

Hi,

What are the best Delphi add ins that:

1. Are fairly easy (ideally FUN) to use
2. Increase programmer productivity almost immediately.
(i.e., not some god-awfully complex "silver bullet"). Something easy to use.  E.g., I tried Model Maker. Looks powerful, but quite a bit of a learning curve.

WHAT I FOUND
* Castalia (trial version looks well worth the money. Meets all the above criteria). I hope they expand the Refactoring tools.

* Code Rush (may meet the above. No trial. Can't tell for sure).

Any other suggestions?

I've got money to spend. It just has to return some productivity.

Mr.Analogy (Shrinkwrap ISV company owner)
Saturday, August 28, 2004

.Net (with a lot of irony)

muPPet

Code Rush has a mountain of features and takes time to learn.  I'm just starting with it.

I have Castalia, too.  It's a good product but much more limited.

ModelMaker Code Explorer (a different product from the UML modeling ModelMaker) probably has the strongest refactoring tools of the three and like Castalia costs $99.  If you're primarily interested in refactoring tools you should check out the MM Code Explorer trial:  http://www.modelmakertools.com/ce.htm

And to the muppet, sorry plain-jane vs.net has nothing on the Delphi IDE with these add-ins.  Add Code Rush.NET to VS.NET and then you're talking. . .
http://www.devexpress.com/?section=/products/NET/Coderush

Herbert Sitz

All those tools, yet the language itself is still so poor in useful features.

Kalani

GExperts is handy.

John Rusk

Second for GExperts.  Worth it for the GREP search alone.

Not Waving But Drowning

Kalani:

People who think like that is what give me, as a Delphi Developer, have a massive edge.

There is no other company in my market that is adding features as quickly or as attractively (or with the same end performance) as I am.

A Delphi Developer

A third recommendation for GExperts.  I, too, use the Grep tool all the time. ;)

Herbert Sitz

Not exactly an add-on, but you might want to check out the recommended IDE tweaks in this article:

http://www.hower.org/Kudzu/Articles/PreventativeProgramming/index.html

The suggested modifications to the syntax highlighting colors are a huge improvement.  The default setup doesn't have colors setup to distinguish between all the syntactical elements.  Changing the colors so that they do distinguish clearly between all elements really is a big help.

Herbert Sitz

Delphi Developer, I'm glad that you're productive with it.  I've used it for some large projects too, but I think it's silly to be so religious about the language.  I think that a simple comparison between other programming languages makes it pretty clear that the Delphi language itself lacks some very useful features, though its cornucopia of tools makes up for that in some respects.  Making a 3D renderer and geometric primitives in Delphi, compared to some other languages, was a bit painful with some of these missing language features.

Kalani

"Making a 3D renderer and geometric primitives in Delphi, compared to some other languages, was a bit painful with some of these missing language features."

Yup, especially if you need an Oracle back-end, full Flash authoring, speech analysis, OCR and broadcast standard video capture.

Get real!

Jono
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Sorry Jono, I don't understand your argument.  All I was saying is that Delphi could use some valuable language features (type parameterization/inference, operator overloading, function values, etc) rather than the wealth of tools that it already has.

Kalani
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Kalani, you tried making a 3D engine in Delphi?

Get real.

Use an OpenGL library in Delphi like the rest of us!

Horses for courses and all that.

i like i
Monday, August 30, 2004

Of course I'm not trying to make a 3D engine in Delphi.  The example of making a software 3D renderer was intended as an *analogy to many large problems*.  If "buy a component to do X" is your answer to every "how do we do hard problem X?" then you'll always have trouble growing your projects when they begin to do something substantial on their own.  Parametric types and operator overloading, which would have made the building of the 3D renderer I made easier, are useful in many kinds of programs (they can make it easier to specify a network server in very few lines of code, for example).

Don't get me wrong, Delphi's probably got one of the best standard libraries I've seen in a popular application development system (it certainly beats VB for utility).  I'm just saying that it's still got a way to go when it comes to language features, and a discussion like that would be valuable for the Delphi community.

Kalani
Monday, August 30, 2004

Kalani, you seem unsure if you have made a 3D engine/'renderer' or otherwise.

But anyway, I tend to agree with you.

Personally, I think that 'properties' and the 'with' keyword and nested functions and other (object) pascalisations are big strengths.  When will C++ have them?

Operator overloading.. hmm.

I've always personally liked the 'wordiness' of pascal.  Makes it much more readable when you return to it, personally.

i like i
Monday, August 30, 2004

i like i,

What I meant was that I'm not making a 3D engine for "professional" reasons or trying to argue that it's a typical problem that Delphi programmers worry about.

I agree with you (very much) that properties and nested functions would be valuable features for C++ to have.  They (Delphi and C++) could also use function values and continuations.  I don't think there's any perfect language out there, but I think that the problem of adding language features is an interesting one.  Right now there's a very large market for tools (ActiveX controls, VCL controls, OLE objects, etc) but not a very big market for language extensions.  Still, you're just as screwed if you get some Delphi code that needs JohnsActiveXControl.dll as you are if you get some Delphi code that requires the "template syntax extension" plugin -- but syntax extension can be at least as valuable as adding in another control.

Kalani
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home