Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

90 million downloads of .Net from Windows Update

From a FAQ on this new Longhorn/WinFX roadmap thing:

"Will WinFX be redistributable like the .NET Framework? If so, how will it make its way into end-user hands?

WinFX will be included in Longhorn and we will make it broadly available for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. We’ve had substantial uptake on the .NET Framework – over 90M downloads on Windows Update alone."
http://msdn.microsoft.com/Longhorn/Support/lhdevfaq/default.aspx#WinFXDownLevel

Chris Altmann
Friday, August 27, 2004

Hmm.... is that 30 Million each of 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 (beta) ?

That begs the problematic question with .net:

If you're covering 80 MB of code (that's what my "Add/Remove programs dialog shows it as)  with ONE framework then either:

a. You get a new version everytime a ANY bug in that 80 MB is found/fixed. That means it doesn't matter how many people download it, they still don't have the latest version. The version that MS makes you run if you want all the latest cool IDE stuff.  The technology march forges on.

or

b.  You have to wait for a couple of years before YOUR bug is fixed.

Mr.Analogy (Shrinkwrap ISV company owner)
Friday, August 27, 2004

.net is NOT a desktop platform

asp.net is cool, but the desktop side is not there.  If it was MS would push it.

free
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Mr. Analogy, I realize that you're not honestly interested in any facts about .NET but this is getting ridiculous...

80 MB in Add/Remove Programs? First of all, nobody cares about the number shown there, people only care about the download size, as you know very well. On top of that, my .NET 1.1 installation shows up with 36 MB -- I have no idea where you get those 80 MB from.

How are bugs fixed? If you had bothered to do about 5 seconds of research you would have discoverd that all .NET versions receive service packs, just like any other Microsoft product. SP3 for .NET 1.0 and SP1 for .NET 1.1 are currently in beta test. No question of requiring an entire new version for bug fixes.

Chris Nahr

90 million downloads or 90 million attempts at downloading? It actually took me 27 attempts to download it before I managed to get it installed on my laptop (with the desktop I was lucky and it installed first time).

Stephen Jones

The size in add-remove programs is completely unreliable, windows guesses which folder contains the program and measures that with some word matching. Raymond Chen did an article about it recently, don´t remember when, at http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing

Einar

"90 million downloads or 90 million attempts at downloading?"

What is this, 1993? Web logs show the difference between successful and failed download attemps.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 30, 2004

"Hmm.... is that 30 Million each of 1.0, 1.1, and 2.0 (beta) ?"

2.0 beta is not available for download via Windows Update. From the numbers I'm seeing, about 85% of the people who show up with 1.1 to our web site, have 1.1 only.

If I had to make a guess, I'd say that probably means 60+ million machines with .NET on it. Let's also not forget that XP for OEMs has .NET optionally bundled into it, and that many manufacturers including it on their "clean" built machines.

Brad Wilson (dotnetguy.techieswithcats.com)
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home