Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Does XP SP2 include .net?

Anyone know this for CERTAIN? 

I read something that suggested that it DID.

If so, what .net version?

Mr.Analogy (Shrinkwrap ISV company owner)
Friday, August 27, 2004

I installed XP SP2 on a machine without .net on it and at the end it still didn't have it on. I think it will only upgrade it if it's already there.

John C
Friday, August 27, 2004

It is totally insane that it was not included.  I have always maintained the best delivery vehicle would be IE however since they effectively ceased IE development it became a non option.  With no "forced" framework install and longhorn many years out there is truly no joy for winforms apps (not to mention winforms is old tech of longhorn in any case).

Pete
Friday, August 27, 2004

.NET is in interesting position. Slashdot had news today that Avalon will be available as an upgrade for WindowsXP and Windows2003, not just Windows 2009. So IMO, winforms are pretty much a waste of resources, while ASP.NET is awesome and will get a major boost with ASP.NET 2.0

Tony
Friday, August 27, 2004

WinForms are not really wasted effort. If designed right you should be able to move to the new platform without too much trouble. And as 90% of UI is in the design, not the implementation, you should then only need to repeat 10% of your work (in theory).

Of course this requires that you really did separate your UI from your function code when you built the WinForm product (something I don't think many, even myself, really do as much as we should).

Marc
Friday, August 27, 2004

" I have always maintained the best delivery vehicle would be IE "

But Microsoft has apparently decided that WE (devevlopers) are the perfect delivery verhicle for .net.

(Well not me.  I never got on the .net bandwagon)

Mr.Analogy (Shrinkwrap ISV company owner)
Friday, August 27, 2004

Because Sun would cry "anti-trust!!!!!!1!" if it were included.

brent
Saturday, August 28, 2004

brent-

MS was convicted in a court of law. Sun didn't "cry" anything. It happened. Deal with it, and get over it. Don't blame Sun for Microsoft's f'd up business practices.

whateva
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Actually, Microsoft are admitting that changing from Winforms to Avalon is a rewrite.  Now there might be a tool that does this (or will do it) and does it in a visual way, though given the fairly non visual way you build such things at the moment I'm dubious.

Also converting UI when you have custom controls and behaviours is always going to be a nightmare.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Just in case some people still aren't aware of this... .NET 2.0 includes WinForms, of course. In fact there are even some enhancements. No need to rewrite if you don't want to.

Chris Nahr
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Rumour has it that the XP SP2 *CD* includes the framework - but you need to manually install it.

Which version - not sure? I am assuming not 1.0 SP3, given it was only released yesterday. ;-)

Anon
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The MSDN DVD includes .NET 1.1 which is the current version. Or was, until today, since 1.1 SP1 is out now.

Chris Nahr
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home