Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Folder view periodically messed up

I have had the pleasure of folder views (Windows XP) getting messed up every once in a while.
Right now my system seems to be thinking that drive d: contains music files, because the background displays the note symbol and the details refer to artists and such.

You can't customize the folder view, like you can't customize the my ... range of special folders, so I can't convince XP that I don't really want the drive to be displayed as a music collection.

To think that I reinstalled a few days ago partially because this kept happening to my documents and my music.

Lots of times it forgets customizations I made to folders too, like grouping, or sorting.

Anyone had similar experiences and knows how to fix this?

Practical Geezer
Friday, August 27, 2004

Actually folder views are customizable:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812003

hth - John

John Murray
Friday, August 27, 2004

that happens to me often when applications are minimized and put into the Windows task bar....currently Outlooks as taken on the icon of our product, not the normal Outlook-tan-clock looking thing

Yo
Friday, August 27, 2004

Actually, John:

"Note The Customize tab is not available for special folders"

which is what I was referring to.

Special folders are the "my ..." range of folders and the root folder of every drive.

Since you can't customize those, anything gone awry in those means that you are up the famous creek.

Besides, I don't know who designed that customisation bit, but I find it pretty useless.
You can't:
- reset a single folder or a selection of folders to their original (default) view
- apply a customisation to an arbitrary selection of folders,

Not to mention that those customisations regularly get messed up.

Practical Geezer
Saturday, August 28, 2004

Man, it just happened again.

My pictures and my music now appear as "normal" folders. And no way to repair it but to reset every single folder.

Practical Geezer
Saturday, August 28, 2004

it this at all relevant?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=813711

hell of a way to run an airline.

trollop
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Thanks, but no, I don't think so.
I ran in to this while searching the web and increased my 'bag' to 2000 and it still happens. And I have nowhere near even 400 customised folders. In fact, I have only a few ( less than 20 ) and it happened anyhow.

I guess I have to live with Windows thinking My Documents contains videos.

Practical Geezer
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Hmm. This has happened to my 'My music' folder. It suddenly stopped thinking it contained music and there was nothing I could do about it as the customise tab was missing. So I made a new folder, customised it as required, moved all the music into it, deleted the old one, and renamed it to 'my music'. Seemed to work ok, until the next time it happened... gr

Matt
Sunday, August 29, 2004

On my system, that does not even work.
I tried it before and when I created the new folder, everything was fine. I moved my stuff, still fine.
I deleted the old folder, nothing wrong still.
Then I renamed the new folder back to what the original was called and, pufff, back at square one.

Practical Geezer
Monday, August 30, 2004

Doesn't http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx TweakUI let you assign the "my ..." stuff?

Just me (Sir to you)
Monday, August 30, 2004

Well, it lets you assign them to different directories. But it won't let you customise the way they're displayed.

As an aside, assigning to different directories can already be done without Tweak UI, simply by moving them from the explorer.

Practical Geezer
Monday, August 30, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home