Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

How much do icon desingers cost

I guess you can get some cheap ones in mexico and india. I want to get 15-20 icons professionally done. How much will it cost?. My icons need to be thought of and designed as they are specific to mechanical engineering.

Karthik
Friday, August 27, 2004

ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

Dr. Evil
Friday, August 27, 2004

I think a pro can do it for $500-$750, at least I know one who do really nice custom ones.

Friday, August 27, 2004

We pay between $150 and $200 per icon for a graphic artist here in San Diego.  That price includes mutiple revisions (if we don't like their concept, they re-do it). 

I'm sure you can find cheaper abroad, but of course, you get what you pay for...and the language barrier may come into play as well.

Joe
Friday, August 27, 2004

one last time: designoutpost.com.

Greatest thing since sliced bread for inexpensive, professional commercial art.

Bored Bystander
Friday, August 27, 2004

what was the greatest thing _before_ sliced bread?

Yo
Friday, August 27, 2004

Really sharp knives.

Alex
Friday, August 27, 2004

http://design.iconfactory.com/
$125 / hour.

Did the icons for XP.  Very professional - you  get what you pay for.

Pete
Friday, August 27, 2004

I'll do 10 flat, nintendo-looking ones for a $500 nordstrom gift certificate (my g/f's addicted to shopping there).

devinmoore.com
Friday, August 27, 2004

Check out this company GLYFX:

http://www.glyfx.com/index.html

They give away some free for starters...

Genx'er
Friday, August 27, 2004

Aren't their any open source icon designers or icons for that matter?

Richard
Friday, August 27, 2004

Yahir Vite is on upwards of 50% cheaper than any American graphic artist and he's just as talented.  He did all of the icons for QTExtender.

He's gained a good portfolio of customers in the short time he's been doing commercial icons.

http://www.yahirvite.com/index.php?theme=customers

Jim Jones
Friday, August 27, 2004

Could not more emphatically agree about designoutpost.com  Amazing designers who work for very little money.  That said, I've had mixed results on icons - they are more used to logos, etc.  Be very specific about what makes a good icon.

frustrated
Friday, August 27, 2004

We have used a gentleman in the past that has worked out extremely well for us.  His site is a bit lacking but  his work has been outstanding on various different styles and types of icons.  His rates have been project specific in the past, im not sure if that has changed. 

www.pmcgee.net

Angel T.
Friday, August 27, 2004

I know the guy who the post above speaks about.

He is very good.

warpo
Friday, August 27, 2004

I work for a software house in the UK. When we were in this situation we bought the complete set of professional XP-style icons from http://www.iconexperience.com for use in our VB applications.

Sometimes it would be nice to have business-specific icons made but we never found a good designer, and with a bit of imagination(!) you can find a suitable icon from the Icon Experience collection for most eventualities.

Having good icons does make a really big difference to the user's reaction to an application. As techies we don't want to admit that these things are important -- the excellence of our database design and the superbly smooth flow of our user interface should be enough for anyone -- but sadly first impressions account for much more than we all imagine!

Miranda, UK
Friday, August 27, 2004

FWIW, as of three months ago IconFactory was not taking on any new clients.

--Josh

JWA
Saturday, August 28, 2004

The IconExperience collections are fine, they have a certain consistency with Windows XP, if that matters to you, what's really put me off them though is that they don't have the icons that I need for specific functions.

For instance, at the moment I'm incrementally developing this order processing system and have toolbar icons, form icons and the like and I'm still stuck in the same loop of not having something that makes sense as an icon and is graphically pleasing.

In the end if you need it done you need an expert to do it.

Simon Lucy
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Hello, I can help you by doing the icons you need, I do custom icons for different purposes, you can check my portfolio and my customers section out to have a good reference from me.

My rates?  I usually do 10 icons for $100USD, if you don't like the first layout I'll re-edit it until you get satisfied.

Yahir Vite
Sunday, August 29, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home