Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Salary survey

What is you net (after tax) monthly income? And how much remains after parties, bills, food, etc.

For me it's $4,250 / $3,450

Friday, August 27, 2004

Good question, that is something I am looking for too. Guys, add to this, your location in the US.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, August 27, 2004

But I don't think anyone would reply, because this is quite a personal question.

And I am so fucking drunk with just 3 beers. Oh! yesterday was a horrible nightmare. I had three yesterday as well. I think I am practicing being an American Indian.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, August 27, 2004

If somebody is shy he can post only half his real net income, but please indicate that with a *

Friday, August 27, 2004

Only $800 after expenses? Do you live at home?

sid
Friday, August 27, 2004

What I meant to say was $800 in expenses.

sid
Friday, August 27, 2004

No, I live in Hungary.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Where do I live?

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, August 27, 2004

Sathyaish, go sleep a little.

Friday, August 27, 2004

I am so fucking lonely.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, August 27, 2004

That's gotta be a very nice salary in Hungary. Do you do consulting work for companies in other countries, or do you actually get paid this by a Hungarian company?

sid
Friday, August 27, 2004

$10000000 USD / $1 USD

Yo
Friday, August 27, 2004

I'm an employee at a 40 person ISV, but normal programmer salaries are usually 1/3 of this here.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Sathyaish, make a date with you app.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Too bad I can't have sex or even talk sweet nothings to my app.

Sathyaish Chakravarthy
Friday, August 27, 2004

Blank;
Great Question!
This way we can find out, who is superior to whom.
Great Idea!
Sheeeee!!!!
It's just between me and you, don't let anybody know about this.
Ok!!

You are my best friend.
Friday, August 27, 2004

You are NOT my best friend,

It's quite an anonymous forum, you can do it without names, so you should not feel inferior.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Am I the only one who doesn't understand the taboo of not divulging ones income?  I understand not discussing differeng salaries in the workplace, although I disagree with the whole tradition of confidential salaries.  I think there should be full disclosure of salaries in the workplace... but I digress.

I don't get why it's a sensitive subject with friends, aquaintances or total strangers though.  I can understand that with family it can sometimes be sticky.  I certainly can't see why it would be an issue in a pseudoanomynous on-line forum.

Anyway, I net ~$2500 / month and have between -$50 and $50 left  after the combination of expenses and bad money-management has taken its toll.

OffMyMeds
Friday, August 27, 2004

------It's quite an anonymous forum, you can do it without names, so you should not feel inferior.---------

I can't blank! I can't!
Everytime I post my salary, I start feeling inferior.
I don't know why!
I just can't post it here.

Do you know, I am about to cry!
Sorry!

By the way when are you going for sleep or away from computer!

No matter what you say-you are still my lovely friend
Friday, August 27, 2004

Oh, and I live in a top-ten (but not top 3), by population, city in the US.

OffMyMeds
Friday, August 27, 2004

Monthly take: X
Monthly Leftover: X - Y

www.ChristopherHawkins.com
Friday, August 27, 2004

Senior Developer, 30, single, live in Oregon.  Salary: 66000.  Take home $4000/mo.  Own a home.  Consistently invest $1800/mo in non tax-sheltered investments.  No debt.  Net worth is $160000 of which $70000 is home equity.

Oregon Anon
Friday, August 27, 2004

OffMyMeds -

Sounds like me, but my net take home is about $3200.

muppet
Friday, August 27, 2004

Oregon anon: How do you pay so little tax? Your take home is 73% of your gross. I live in California and my take home is only 61% of my gross. I get 39% deducted!

California anon
Friday, August 27, 2004

$46,700 estimated annual salary.

Joel Spolsky
Friday, August 27, 2004

Freelancer, was living in the San Francisco Bay Area, post-tax income in 2001-2002 was about $7K/mo, but took off most of 2003 to travel w/ my fiancee-now-wife and that pretty much drained my bank account. I've been living in France last 4 months, consulting for US companies, but moving back to the Bay Area in less than 2 weeks (woohoo! can't wait!).

I've never been good about keeping track of my monthly expenditures, and my life's been chaotic as of late, so I have no idea what my monthly expenditures are.

France is Boring
Friday, August 27, 2004

Approximately $80,000 annual pay (current top of pay chart w/o becoming supervisor), based on weekly production bonus.  Take home ~$1100 / wk. plus annual employee profit sharing.  Employed as the equivalent of an Automation Engineer / Process Engineer (not many titles used here) in a major steel minimill with ~90% of time spent programming web-based reporting and operator interfaces and/or PLC's and HMI's.  Employees in actual IT department have much lower pay but I don't know actual figures.

(Plant in NE Arkansas, live in NW Tennessee so pay AR income tax plus TN high sales tax).

J. Lee
Friday, August 27, 2004

Annual salary $121,000. 30 years old. Senior programmer. New York. Married with a 3 year old daughter.

Gross: $5,042/month
Net: $3,384/month
Take home: 67%

Although this is roughly 30% greater than average for the city, its not enough money to live on. Not in New York.

Friday, August 27, 2004

...30% greater than the average person in my position...

Friday, August 27, 2004

$8,000/$6,000

After I pay for everything, I generally have $1000 or so left at the end of the month.

ILanon
Friday, August 27, 2004

wait...your annual salary is 120k, but they only give you 5k a month?  I think you mighta been ripped off...

Vince
Friday, August 27, 2004

Take home 2250 per month, 1250 after expenses in Minneapolis MN.

Intern Extraordinaire
Friday, August 27, 2004

Sorry, that's,

Gross: $5,042 twice a month ($10,084/month)
Net: $3,384 twice a month ($6,768/month)
Take home: 67%

Know I'm not so sure why I get the $121K, since I can't seem to add that well... ;)

Friday, August 27, 2004

"wait...your annual salary is 120k, but they only give you 5k a month?  I think you mighta been ripped off... "

Nah, he just has hald of his income "reinvested" *wink wink* in the company ;P

Intern Extraordinaire
Friday, August 27, 2004

I was asked how my take home is 72% of gross.  I have the following deductions:

$9000 Mortgage Interest
$3000 Property Tax
$3000 Capital loss carryover
$4500 State tax paid

66000-20000-7500 standard+exemption = 38500.

There just isn't that much to tax.  I also rig it so I owe $500 or so in April, rather than lend the feds money at 0%.

Oregon Anon
Friday, August 27, 2004

Ah, I see. I am newly living in the USA and have been renting, so no I had no special deductions.

Having just bought a house, I guess I can start deducting property tax and mortgage interest which will help offset my tax bill.

I have to research the whole area of income tax a bit more.

California anon
Friday, August 27, 2004

"Annual salary $121,000. 30 years old. Senior programmer. New York. Married with a 3 year old daughter.

Gross: $5,042/month
Net: $3,384/month
Take home: 67%"

YOU SURE?

121000/12 = 10083.333333333333333333333333333 (monthly).

That's alot dude.

2 CENTS ARE FREE
Friday, August 27, 2004

The whole question of gross and disposable income seems to be not quite so simple as just considering income tax and deductions from your pay check.

For example, buying a home vs. renting: If you rent, you get no income tax deductions but you pay no property tax or mortgage interest. If you buy, you are paying mortgage interest and property taxes which add up to more than the effect of deductions from income tax.

When I did a few rough calculations, I found that buying a home was more expensive than renting unless there is significant annual appreciation in house prices (at least 10%/year).

At the moment this seems to be true in California, but if house prices stop increasing or even decrease, anybody buying now will be hugely out of pocket compared to renting.

California anon
Friday, August 27, 2004

Oregon Anon:

You can't take the standard deduction and itemize your mortgage interest and cap losses.  The standard deduction is used if you don't itemize.

Hockey Player
Friday, August 27, 2004

I like 5 stars week ends :)

Evgeny Gesin /Javadesk/
Friday, August 27, 2004

Rule 0 of financial money management for married people:

0. Stay married.

Rule 1 would be something like avoid credit card debt.

hoser
Friday, August 27, 2004

Charlotte, NC.
25 - married, no kids.
Own (as of two months ago).
Annual Salary 83,200
Position: Java (though we're doing C# right now) developer
Taxes ~ 30%
Savings 10%
Tithes 10%

So take home is around 40/41k.

(Not so required)
Friday, August 27, 2004

joel- 46k, yeah thats great. But include EVERYTHING.

if you are really joel, then even tho you pay yourself  <50k, you are worth FAR MORE than $46k per year.

maybe you reinvest, god knows what you do, but saying you only "make"  < 50k per year in NYC as a discussion about earnings, is not disclosing all the facts.

whateva
Friday, August 27, 2004

8 cents

Steve Jobs
Friday, August 27, 2004

Australian Info

The american numbers people have mentioned seem astronomical compared to australia.

position : "consultant"  (spend my time java programming, the small it consulting company has a

graduate -> consultant -> senior consultant heirachy)

annual salary before tax : (au)$50,000 (us)$35,161

monthly take home : (au)$3160 (us)$2,222.22

left to save after rent and expenses : (au)$1000 (us)$703

(I know senior consultants in my company get between
(au)$65000 - $75000
(us)$45710 - $52,742  a year.

The office managers around (au)$90,000(us)$63291

They say in australia "We are taxed like the americans and paid like the europeans". 

Which seems to be right given the numbers people have mentioned.  Although I guess people who feel happy about their income (and that isnt many people :) ) are of course much more likely to post.

Australia still a fantastic place to live though, I am single and live a very nice lifestyle, no mortgage or even a car, but lots of taxi rides, eating out, movies etc Money isnt a problem for me at all.

aussie anon
Saturday, August 28, 2004

"And I am so fucking drunk with just 3 beers. I think I am practicing being an American Indian." -- Sathyaish Chakravarthy

I just ate a bunch of stinky curry and then took a dump in the river where I get drinking water. I think I have cholera.

American Indian Guy

Ah damn I forgot to say "I think i am turning into an India Indian."

Damn, I never shoulda drunk that quart of vodka this morning.

American Indian Guy

aussie anon, money isn't a problem precisely because you are single and don't have a mortgage. Try getting married and buying a house on your salary. Unless houses are dirt cheap or you and your spouse works, that will be hard.

I'm married, have a house, and take home approximately 83% of my gross income. (Currently $75k base + bonuses, but I'm way overdue for a good size raise if I may say so myself.) We have no state income tax here, which helps a lot, but property taxes are high.

texas anon

After taxes I bring home about $940/week, but before hand I make $1250/week.  My wife also makes about $300/month parttime.

This makes approximately $3700/month and after expenses, we have about $400-500 left.

Regular Poster

I make aprx  82000 a year which is considered a pretty good salary for my experience (10+ years Comp Sci).

I from my 6900 month I take home 4000.

I have a wife that takes 2200 home each month.

I have 3 kids and an apartment and my net each month is
somewhere < 0 :-(

P.S.
Don't move to Iceland it is to fking expensive

anon in iceland
Sunday, August 29, 2004

100k pre wall street bonus.  I'm Single.

It's not good enough for living in new york.

Save the 401k 1200$ a month.
Take home 4400 spend all.

Yuri
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Apparently Joel doesn't post here enough for people to know that he has a special 2nd line sig that will identify him as being seperate from the spoofers.

www.MarkTAW.com
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Position: Developer (VB, Oracle, Access)

Gross: £2160/month (approx US$3,868)
Net: £1585/month

UK anon
Sunday, August 29, 2004

Job: Developer/ Project leader in a small ISV / consulting firm
Gross: 45 000 / year ~ 3800 / month
Net: 2500 /month

6 months experience.

VL
Sunday, August 29, 2004

VL, do you know how much senior developers can expect to make in Norway? I moved to the US from Norway before I had held a full-time job in Norway, and my first job in the US netted more than twice what you mention. I don't know the job market in Norway (haven't lived there in quite some time), so I'm wondering if it's hard to get that kind of salary as a developer in Norway. From what I've seen though, developers here in the US typically make more than doctors make in Norway.

ex-Norway
Sunday, August 29, 2004

"VL, do you know how much senior developers can expect to make in Norway?"

It really depends on the company. In the company where I work(5 people), the senior developers only make ~$60,000 AFAIK. But they have stock options.

In the large consulting companies, the salaries are higher.  Senior consultants can get more than $100,000 (according to a survey), but I don't think the average is even close to that. The salaries are lower if you move away from Oslo. 

From what I've read here, Norwegian salaries can't compete with those in California or New York, but they are more comparable to those outside the largest cities in the US.

Vidar
Monday, August 30, 2004

Gross: $65.500 / yr
Net: $2.450 / mth

Regular (Europe)
Monday, August 30, 2004

$100,000/yr gross  ~1,300/wk take home
Last few years 12% end of year bonus to every employees' 401K (not included in above numbers.)

Washington DC suburbs - small data mining defense contractor
Top Secret clearance
25 years experience
C++/Python

DryWell
Monday, August 30, 2004

----"Gross: $65.500 / yr
Net: $2.450 / mth "----

Presumably you pay a lot of alimony!

Stephen Jones
Monday, August 30, 2004

Nope.
My country has an extensive "wellfare" system that needs to be financed. I also believe we have one of the highest percentage of people working in government in the world.

Regular (Europe)
Monday, August 30, 2004

Position: Senior Developer/ Team Leader in a small ISV

Gross:  $ 850.00
Net:  $ 630

Rent: $ 100.00

Entry level developers here would expect to make a third of this pay.  It would be interesting to see how this rate compares to India, China and South America.

Must be Anon
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Gross: £2675 (~$4,800)

Anon this time
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Australia, IT Manager, $45k + accomm, $580 take home (tax, HECS debt, Austudy loan...)

Jack of all
Tuesday, August 31, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home