Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

Great idea for a new business

If somebody is looking for it here is THE ONE.
Get it for no royalty fees :)

Imagine you have a web-site where you can create virtual e-mail accounts with the names of your idiot co-workers. So you can write something like

===========
John,

You're f*king moron. If you don't understand the simple things what the hell are you doing here ? Put your head between your ....
===========

and so on, and so forth

Eventually, you cannot send a real e-mail like that. Company policy, you know, need to earn some money for living ...

But it would be great relief to get steam out this way.

I will be the first customer. What is a price ?

Michael
Friday, August 27, 2004

Michael,

You're f*king moron. If you don't understand the simple things what the hell are you doing here ? Put your head between your ....

hee hee
Friday, August 27, 2004

If you aren't going to then go and read the message you sent to you 'co-worker' why bother creating accounts?

Just configure your email software to automatically delete any undeliverable responses. Then you can send all sorts of such emails to your coworkers and even vary the domain as is appropriate.

John@stupidfsckingpos.moron

I am Jack's logic
Friday, August 27, 2004

What's the matter, Michael? Come on over, and tell us all about it...?

anon-y-mous cow-ard
Friday, August 27, 2004

Michael,
I very disapointed that you're not able to approach these topics in person like an adult.

John
Friday, August 27, 2004

From dictionary.com, a price (the noun) is:

1. The amount as of money or goods, asked for or given in exchange for something else.
  2. The cost at which something is obtained: believes that the price of success is hard work.
  3. The cost of bribing someone: maintained that every person has a price.
  4. A reward offered for the capture or killing of a person: a felon with a price on his head.
  5. Archaic. Value or worth.

Hope that helped.

PS

I'm not sure what you meant exactly, but maybe crapmail and mailinator can somehow simulate such a service?

Vladimir Gritsenko
Friday, August 27, 2004

Here are my ideas for businesses.  As you can see, they are both variations on a theme.

= Virtual Training =

Somebody at work is getting themselves booked on a weeks training course.  I was shocked at how much these things cost.

The Virtual Training provides a realistic facade of a training provider, with invoices for courses and hotels.

When the time for the course comes along the customer gets a week's paid leave, a cut of the money collected and an appropriate book for them to read before returning to work.

= Virtual Wedding List =

The happy couple pay a one off service fee.

For their money they get a well presented wedding list with a facade website that takes the credit card order.

On the day of the wedding the couple get a list of what everybody brought, a cheque for the money collected (minus fees) and embty boxes attractively wrapped to display.

Ged Byrne
Friday, August 27, 2004

Micheal,
let's send that email to a normal address, not a fake one. You're a pathetic bunny if you don't.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Ged, I'm not convinced by the Virtual Training idea, but the Virtual Wedding List idea is excellent.

It is especially useful these days where couples often live together before marriage and so don't actually need another toaster.

Don't be suprised if someone actually implements that.

Nemesis
Friday, August 27, 2004

Actually there *used* to be services where you could create an account and send (pseudo-)anonymous messages to coworkers.

It was mostly used for stuff like "you smell, take a shower".

Some coworkers and I jacked around with that for about a week, but it was pricey at $0.25/message.  It was worth playing around though.

KC
Friday, August 27, 2004

Speaking of business ideas, here's a somewhat convulted (well, that description may be questionable by today's standrads):

Online death notificiations

You can be sure that all your geographically proximate friends and family will be notified of your death, but how about a gazillion of online acquaintances? In this online service, your anybody (spouse, kin, parents, lawyer, dog) need only press a button and all the people you listed prior to your death will be notified (via e-mail, IRC, ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, you name it) and the online actions you request be performed (your e-mail, mailing list subscriptions, etc. be terminated, for example).

I can but wonder whether someone has implemented it already...

Vladimir Gritsenko
Friday, August 27, 2004

I have an idea that will revolutionize the scuba diving industry:  online tank fills.  You simply hook your scuba tanks up to the Web (any browser will do) and have the tanks filled with air or nitrox.  I haven't worked out all of the technical issues yet, but I am looking for VC money.  If any of you know a good VC, send them my way. 

Bob's air fills, auto repair and Web development
Friday, August 27, 2004

Bob, would you consider adding propane to your services?  I'll be needing a refill for my BBQ grill before the Labor Day festivities.  Thanks!

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, hog fat
Friday, August 27, 2004

Propane?  Sure thing!  I'll be providing auto gas as well; maybe even diesel in the not too distant future.  I'm telling you, it's a big market. 

Please don't steal my idea.

Friday, August 27, 2004

http://grouphug.us/

www.MarkTAW.com
Friday, August 27, 2004

Hmm, propane and propane accessories delivered via the web.  That's enough to put Strickland Propane out of business and Hank Hill out of a job.

Not the King
Friday, August 27, 2004

Hank Hill is a cartoon silly!  He's not real.  Some people are so loopy.  Sheeeeesh!

Friday, August 27, 2004

Vladimir, I've seen a death notification service like that online somewhere (maybe they are gone now). But it was more like you write the mail and they send it after you're dead. Like "Hi,  I'm dead."

Ron
Friday, August 27, 2004

Maybe the OP could just keep a running tab on the death notifcation thingy.  Something like:

"To Recipients,

If you are seeing this email, that means I am now dead.  I would like to take this opportunity to tell you all the things I wanted to say to your face but which protocol (and in some cases, the law) prohibited me from doing when I was alive.  Obviously, as I am dead, there is nothing you or the law can do about it now, so here you go:

You are all morons.  You can't understand even the simplest things.  How did you get your jobs?  Why do they allow you to drive a car?  Why do you insist on wearing Petruli perfume, when everyone around you is vomiting their lunches from the stench?  I had to clean up after your messes for years.  Now irony will make a victim of you, because although I am dead, it is you that will suffer because you have to continue to live and *be you*.  Glory is mine.  Bite my rotting arse.

Sincerely,
Michael"

and whenever he needs to vent some steam, he can just add a couple more lines to it.

Clay Whipkey
Friday, August 27, 2004

While we are throwing around impossible business ideas, I'll contribute mine.

Get cable TV service with Music Choice channels.  Get a set top box with digital audio out.  Hook up a PC to your record your favorite music channel all night long.  Wake up in the morning to find 8 hours of high quality MP3 recordings.  That's maybe 100 songs or more.

Now, pay me something like $5, and I'll tell you the artist/title information for each song you recorded.  I'll even sell you software to automatically split up your 8 hour recording into individual MP3 files with appropriate ID3 tags.  Your cost is $0.05 per song.  You don't get to pick the music, but you're assured a reasonable variety of recent releases.

Am I doing anything illegal?  There's a long standing precedent that says you can record broadcasts and watch/listen to them later as much as you want.  You aren't doing anything illegal.  I'm not distributing copyrighted music.  I'm just providing software and information to help you catalog your personal recordings.  That's not illegal.

I suspect I'd still get sued by the RIAA.  They sue everybody.  I also suspect that even at $0.05 per song I'd get very few subscribers when Kazaa is free.  Of course, iTunes seems to be doing well.

William Frantz
Friday, August 27, 2004

Ron: so not only did they rip off my idea, they also removed a lot of features... :-/

Vladimir Gritsenko
Saturday, August 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home