Fog Creek Software
Discussion Board

D - Day !!

What do you do the eve/night before product shipment ? Be it QA / customer !!

Hold On!!
Friday, August 27, 2004

Pray.

Friday, August 27, 2004

Party!!!!

Art Vandelay
Friday, August 27, 2004

Code. Feature freezes and testing periods are for cissies.

Andrew Cherry
Friday, August 27, 2004

Ditto. We have a long test cycle. By the time we release,  we are already well into the next release cycle.

WoodenTongue
Friday, August 27, 2004

what do you mean... "shipment"? 

... actually, what do you mean... "product"?

devinmoore.com
Friday, August 27, 2004

If you were the guy on my team a few years back, you'd be up all night making a bunch of major overhauls and wondering why nobody would let you check it back in.

Ron
Friday, August 27, 2004

say "coffee, champagne or cyanide?"

trollop
Friday, August 27, 2004

Relax, it is certainly too late to worry about anything by that stage.

Nemesis
Friday, August 27, 2004

I would be wondering how to ask for another extension.

Paul
Friday, August 27, 2004

If you're a former boss of mine, you'd  be completely rewriting part of the system, compiling it, and assuming that since it compiled, and you gave it a quick test, you can release it.

GML
Friday, August 27, 2004

GML, I have a boss like that, except he doesn't give it a quick test.

Steven
Friday, August 27, 2004

"Feature freezes and testing periods are for cissies."

Apparently so is spelling.

pedant
Saturday, August 28, 2004

At an old place I worked at the boss had the idea that since our build script took 53 minutes to run and the CD burner could burn the disc in 4 minutes, that we could keep coding until 1 hour before the courier is supposed to be there to pick up the CD package for the customer.

I should explain that rather than having a "this years/months version" that we could send to anybody when they purchased it, our sales department liked to sell features we finished yesterday, or tell customers that the feature we had scheduled to finish next year could be done by friday if they placed the order RIGHT NOW. So virtually every version sent to a customer was unique which always made upgrade time exciting.

Me?
Saturday, August 28, 2004

*  Recent Topics

*  Fog Creek Home